Wierd problems

dutchy351

• Member For: 10y 3m 15d

Anybody with a c4 conversion into ba XR6 turbo ever had this issue with gears showing up on the dash and the car running pretty average when coasting?

I had the car tuned after the conversion was done and the thing ran like a dream, no gears showing on the dash of anything but the traction control would cut out under hard acceleration. I did some research online and found people had this issue when the traction was not tuned for the new power (spoke to the tuner and he said he didn't touch it and never does) I asked him to fix it (the wife drives the car also).

We went back in for a touch up tune and he looked at the traction at the same time. When. I went to pick the car up he said that he changed the setting on the traction from letting it spin from 60kmh to 120kmh. Now I'm no tuner but it sounded a little odd to me, ever since getting it back I have had this issue and the traction still turns off under hard acceleration and wont turn back on until the car is turned off.

It's fine on throttle but once I get off it the car almost sounds like a truck slowing down (hard to explain) and the revs seem to go up and down while coasting.

Edit: forgot to mention, if I take my foot off the accelerator the gears will disappear momentarily and then when the foot goes back on they will come back. The car will always read reverse correctly though, I'm putting that down to the fact that the reverse lights are wired to the micro switch on my ratchet shifter.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

tell the tuner to put any traction settings back to what they were before he touched them.

traction control is just useless with more than about 270rwkw in these cars, anyway. It does exactly what you have there for everybody. The traction control is "broken through" under hard acceleration and then cannot be turned back "on" until you restart the car. Turn TC off if you're going to be giving it a flogging, as it can do weird things. TC is still useful in those situations where traction is tricky (slippery surfaces).

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 24d

Traction control works different in BA when compared to BF and FG.  If you gas it hard and loose traction in the BA the brakes grab the wheel and it's easy to snap an axle. 

My BA is tuned exactly as you describe.  If it looses traction a major amount the TC turns itself off. I think it's great as I don't always remember to turn it off.  And my car spins the wheels often. 

• Like 1