Ute torque steer

Steveor

• Member For: 7y 10d

My FG MKII Ute has developed a bizarre and horrible habit of torque steering to the right slightly when accelerating hard under boost and lurching back again when I lift of the throttle. I initially thought maybe the axle housing mounts may have shifted causing misalignment of the rear end but now I'm not so sure. It does it while I'm holding the wheel dead straight and doesn't quite come all the way back when I lift off. Anyone else experienced this problem?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

There was a conversation about this a while back. 

Smash the hell out of the search bar like it's a free hooker on a Friday night and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. 

Climbing under the car for a look helps too ;)

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 17d

Pretty sure there was a guy who had the axle out of alignment on the spring after fitting some new bushes which caused something similar.

Mine generally kicks out to the lower side of the road, just depends what lane your in.

On 19/08/2017 at 6:16 AM, Puffwagon said:

There was a conversation about this a while back. 

Smash the hell out of the search bar like it's a free hooker on a Friday night and I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. 

Climbing under the car for a look helps too ;)

Well I've smashed that dirty little search bar like the cheap ho that it is.... To no avail. Can't seem to find any matches no matter how I describe it. I'm getting a full diff rebuild in 2 weeks, new bearings, crown and pinion and a Harrop truetrack LSD. I'm waiting to see if that makes any difference but I'm not overly optimistic that it will. I've had a quick look at the axle mounts and couldn't see anything obvious but I might have to investigate further, maybe measure wheel centre distance front to rear.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Well at least you tried. I'll have a look and see if I can find the chat. 

If your car is going in for work soon then I guess you can ease up on it for a couple of weeks until it's on the hoist for a proper look. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've sorted the torque steer problem and thought I should share it in case anyone else gets the same issue. I just had the sh*tty stock lsd replaced with a truetrack as well as bearings and new crown and pinion set. During the replacement the guys at the driveline shop noticed the axle tube was moving in and out of the pumpkin (centre housing) and there had been an oil leak around the tube fitting. I told them I had previously noticed a couple of holes around the point where the axle tube fits into the housing. It was at this point that I realised what the holes were...the factory plug welds used to retain the axle tube in the centre housing had broken and completely fallen out. There was nothing holding the drivers side axle tube into the housing other than the spring mounts. Obviously everything was flexing under torque causing the tube to float and misalign the rear which led to the torque steer problem. I collected the bare housing and tubes and took them to my work (fab shop) and cleaned and prepped the holes and dropped in 3 new plug welds with decent penetration this time, unlike the sh*t job the factory did, took it back to the driveline shop, had the new bearings and crown and pinion fitted along with the truetrack LSD and HOLY sh*t!!! Pulls hard and straight and lights both rears up like it should and doesn't sound like I'm dragging some poor dog to death under my car every time I make a tight turn.

I am now one happy camper.

• Like 4