FG n/a motor to BA turbo conversion

ERICtheBERIC

• Member For: 9y 6m 24d

Hey guys, so some of you may remember the thread I made ages ago about the motor swap I did in my BA xt where I took everything off a crashed BA xr6t and put it in.

I got the car licenced and have had it on the road for about a year now. Ive done quite a few track days at collie and barbagello here in perth and done a brake upgrade and a few other things, but the long and short of it is that I want more powa. I realize I could probably shave time in other ways, but ive been wanting to do an engine build for a while now and my old man runs an engine recon shop which will obvs be a huge help.

SO the plan is to take the FG xt motor I bought with 110k kms and completely strip it down and rebuild it to run the turbo setup off my BA and try and make some power in the process. Now, im a uni student working part time so as much as id love to throw money at this thing and just go nuts I unfortunately cannot. Having said that, I want to do it properly and achieve ~500-550hp at the wheels reliably and comfortably. At this stage im planning on replacing all the bearings and rings in the motor running the stock crank/pistons/rods from the FG, getting stiffer valve springs, billet oil pump, and maybe some FG turbo valves. Then bolt the FG xt plastic plenum to the intake (would love the FG log one but way too expensive) and my BA exhaust manifold and turbo. Then I want to get some big injectors and fuel pump and a good intercooler. Run a turbo side intake, get rid of the crossover and make up some cooler piping to suit the FG plenum. As for the exhaust, I dont really wanna buy a whole system but I would get a high flow cat and maybe a bigger dump pipe and a muffler delete. After all this ill give it to simon at XFT for a tune and tell him im basically aiming to max out the factory turbo (or getting as close as I can) without hurting anything. 

What do you guys recon, would this be an alright way to make power kinda on the cheap? Any opinions or suggestions are welcome.

Just as a sidenote I was also wondering whats the go with the variable cam timing when it comes to tuning. Will he put in a timing curve or just fix the cams to where it makes max hp? in which case you could get away with removing that stuff altother

Edited by ERICtheBERIC

• 3 months later...
  • Member For: 11y 3m 5d

First thing, reliable + power = not cheap.!

Secondly, who f*ckn knows what the tuna will do with the cam timing, so that question doesn’t really matter. (It depends on so many factors)

Thirdly, all that stuff you wanna do sounds like about $5k minimum worth of parts/work/labour, is it really worth it.? There are some dirt cheap turbo falcons for sale at the moment, would it be better getting one of those.?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
On 05/08/2017 at 2:18 AM, ERICtheBERIC said:

I want more powa.

It depends how you are going to drive it. Just give it another 2 psi and/or some timing if it will tolerate it. I didn't read the earlier thread so forgive me for now.

Cam timing, afr and ignition timing should be optimised together when it's tuned. You could just not touch the cam timing and you wouldn't really notice the difference with stock parts. I only changed mine to bring it on slower so it grips up better but that's just me. Google has more answers.

Old mate has a fair point, you might be better off just waiting to buy something already done.

• Member For: 9y 6m 24d

Well the point of this exercise is as much to get the experience in engine building as it is to have a fast daily. All labour except the tuning will be done for free at my old man's engine shop, and all new parts will be cost price for me. I plan on doing the engine install myself, and getting whatever parts I can second hand to really try and cut the cost down. I actually just picked up a second hand nizpro cooler locally for $350 yesterday:

02I1bMi.jpg?2

I get that I could achieve the same outcome for less money by getting another xr6t with the work already done, but I dont have the money to outright buy one, and ive upgraded quite a few things on my falcon already that I would really like to keep, and also I would love to stick with the xt look for the sleeper points.

So keeping that in mind my next dilemma is deciding on which plenum to use. Ive got the black plastic plenum that came with the FG motor, the variable length one from my BA, or ideally I was looking at a FG turbo plenum but they are pretty expensive ~$500. what do you guys recon would be the best option there?

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

FG turbo plenum obviously the best option, this is a pretty sweet deal:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALCON-FG-XR6-TURBO-F6-FPV-TYPHOON-INLET-MANIFOLD

TB, fuel rail and manifold all for $450

• Like 1