Tuning a FG xr6, worth it or not?

Sharpy225

• Member For: 8y 2d

I'm sure this has been asked multiple times but even through searching I wasn't getting the answer I wanted. I own a 2010 FG xr6 ute, have done exhaust, cat, extractors and cold air intake. I'm debating whether or not to get it dyno tuned. Local mechanic said the power gain wouldn't be worth the cost however a lot of people online have suggested to do it in my readings.

So will it be worth it to get the car tuned with the current mods? What sort of power gain could I expect? How much have others paid for similar dyno tunes? Cheers

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

EDIT: my bad, N/A car... Your local mechanic is right, the tune isn't worth the cost on a N/A car.

Edited by k31th

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

for n/a... a simple cat  back is suffice. 

n/a are just too expensive to mod with little benefit and a tune will get you sfa. 

BUT 

the answer your looking for is yes go get a custom tune, that's what you want then do it. guys ask this all the time and do the opposite anyways hahaha 

so get the tune, do a before and after run and please report back id like to see the results.

Edited by Ford Freak

• Member For: 6y 9m 8d

I tuned my FG, tuner used the X4. picked up about 15kWs... from 186 - 201rwkws. Is yours an auto? because if it is spend the little extra coin to get the gearbox tuned - it changes the entire driveability of the car. the shifts are heaps quicker, like waaaay quicker, and the converter locks up a lot better. Also you get little extras which are cool like a raised rev limiter (doesn't need it at all lol) and removed speed limiter. It's definitely worth it if you've already done the cai/exhaust/headers etc.

Also consider doing reduction drive pulleys first, that seemed to make a big seat of the pants difference.

• 5 months later...