Temp Gauge always reading cold?!?!

MaStars

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 9m 24d

Hi guys,

So loving my New/old G6E Turbo. Been doing it heaps, forgot how much I missed Boost lol.

However I have noticed something weird. My temp gauge never seems to reach half way on the gauge typically just 1/4 to 3/8. I live in QLD I know its a bit cooler at the moment but every car I have ever driven will always get to temp being half way on the gauge?

Is this a normal thing? or would it be a faulty gauge? I have heard people mention something about a cold thermostat? is that a thing that would cause this?

any help would be geat thanks guys :)

Ben

• Member For: 10y 10m 4d

Yeah I know my bf sits between 1/4-1/2 and I've been told if it goes over 1/2 to check the cooling system out. Using the cal or obd2 scanner I can see it sits between 85-100 degrees even on 40 degree days down to super cold nights. The car does a bang on job of maintaining about 90 degrees. Sounds about right to me though unless someone knows more about the fg platform.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

195F/91c thermostat temp will read just under half.  180F/82c temp will read just over 1/4.  The reading is actually head temperature as the sender unit doesn't contact the coolant. 

Now that I run E85 and 82c temp stays on 1/4. 

Edited by arronm

• Member For: 14y 5m 13d

There was a conversation about this in I think it was the off topic thread & those ranges are basically normal.

Some people have the non stock temp thermostat (108 farrenheight iirc) which their tuner installed.

I bought my G6ET with basically XFT's stage 1 package which had the gapped spark plugs, ID1000 injectors, XCAL 3, "cooler thermostat" & tune already done by the previous owner.

However the first thing I did was get it checked over & serviced & was told the thermostat was leaking.

So I emailed XFT & was told by them what thermostat to get & the seal part number, as it could have been either thing that was faulty. I got both because it cost lest than $30 for both, so really cheap insurance.

Just an additional tip or two, Ford apparently don't ever change the diff oil, so I would get that done plus maybe get the fuel filter changed depending on the age & K's of the car.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 9m 24d

ok thanks guys.

I dont know much about the history, I know its got full service history but not any other modifications, seems 100% stock to me. perhaps it has a 82°c thermo and that's why it sits just above 1/4 all the time?

I have an OBD2 BT reader thing I will throw it on tonight and check it out :)

good tip on the diff oil, when getting rwc I got my mech to check the diff fluid he said it was still full but didn't say if he thought it needed replacing. he did say there was a bit of seepage around the front seal. but wasn't an issue as it looked old, he will monitor and check again next service 5k away I believe. as for fuel filter that is a good point I will check that out its got 145k on the clock.

thanks guys.