Dash Cams

EvilDaifu

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 18d

Well didn't easily see a topic discussing dash cams (apart what was being discussed in the group buy section).  I just want to say I've had good performance from the Blueskysea G1W-C.  I'm going to buy some more because bang for buck it seems to do a good job.  It does not have GPS built in and the one I bought does not have a battery for recording (needs to be powered on by the car cig lighter 12V) but so far it's done a good job.  

It's actually amazing that car manufactures do not make front and rear dash cams built-in because not only would it help resolve road issue disputes in some cases - but I suspect would make people think twice about doing something stoopid.

Here's some sample actual footage from G1W-C (cost $60 on eBay)

Since I've had dash cams permanently in my car - I've captured 2 incidents.  One I've already passed over to the unfortunate couple who were side swiped by a double-B on the SE Freeway right in front of me (double B came up fast behind the car in front of me and for some reason I pulled right back thinking this didn't look good - good think I did cos the debris bouncing along the road just missed my bonnet as I had dropped far enough behind them :omg: )

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 29d

wont be long till they become standard just like all the other safety gizmos. every car will have some sort of black box recorder.

cars may even have gps tracking. tech only going to get more fancy now that mobile phone displays are now being integrated into the dash screens. 

• Expert
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 1m 27d

Don ( @BenDoCo ) did one a few years back on In-Car Camera

I've had mine for about 5 years now and wouldn't have a car without one now.

I agree it's not long before they will be in-built into the car rear vision mirror or something like that.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 9m 1d

I think Audi offer it as an option now.

Will all the safety features now including autonomous braking, front and rear cameras are pretty standard. Should not take much to turn them into dash cams.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 9m 22d

$$$$   it all comes down to the bottom line

Interestingly Tesla have it automatically with their self driving hardware, basically a blackbox type setup.  There are a few blogs now commenting how these auto record features plus autopilot/crash avoidance will significantly distrupt the insurance market for cars like this

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 18d

aaaaaaaawh he so cute - farrk me had tears was laughing so much :roflmbo:

On my Volvo the local mechanic kindly left mine running so although I didn't get a good view mos of the time of what he was doin cos bonnt up - I could hear the 2 mechanics talking and also watched what they did doing their final drive test after working on the vehicle.  Felt strange spying on what they was doin.