Possible headgasket

molch

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 26d

Tune: self tuning via hptuners
Fuel: BP98
Kms: 77,000
Boost: higher then it should have been. was watching the ngauge and it shot over 21.5 and stopped showing (showed a 0)

Other bits: Had just modded the external gate using a 3 port boost solenoid and the top port for positive pressure to hold the gate shut. Stupidly went for a burn without more testing,tuning and logging (basically broke all of my own rules for self tuning).

Cause: Too much boost has blown something. 

Now need to focus on  getting a full diagnosis of the issues to get a parts list together.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Haha , all the super humans that never make a mistake are in the house, why even bother posting the unhelpful sh*t? To increase your post count of unhelpfulness or to prove that you are better then me. Either way I'd like to keep the post to useful stuff for people that come to these forums for help so take it elsewhere.

ill try and keep a bit of a photo diary of pulling the head down and the inspection etc if anyone is interested. 

Going to price up some arp head studs. Was looking at AR252-4302 first up.

Second is a gasket kit including head gasket.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Don't stress, mate. These guys just love to fling a bit of :pooh: as that's what makes this forum really enjoyable to the regulars.

We all make mistakes, that's for sure.

You admitted to your mistake publicly. :pooh: happens. Would love to see the progress pics :spoton:

• Like 4

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 27d

We all do (say) dumb sh*t from time to time. Don't let it fuss you, I certainly don't when it happens to me.

Those 3 port style solinoids are very trick things, when setup they can give an amazing amount of control even in high boost ranges and can shut the gate way faster from off idle scenarios.    Issue is you need to completely remap the control curve before you begin.  They can bleed off a ton of boost for a lot longer than a normal 2 port pulsed sol. I'd say the computer wasn't expecting the boost to climb as rapidly as it did and it just shot up like you said (I would also triple check you've got the ports connected up correctly)

If you hadn't changed the timing, and the fuel kept up, you might have got real lucky with a gasket burp.  Like I say though, if any water got in the bores could be a rod or two. Start with the basics though.   I'll stay tuned though, could be the start of an epic block buildup  (but I hope not)

Edited by FiftyOne
  • Like 1

• Donating Members

Well had an interesting weekend pulling everything down. Here's a couple of happy snaps along the way

EFBEDB73-CD5C-465C-9BE9-8AAA0080AC5C.jpg

9DB93B06-0E0A-4DC7-A6EC-F1B8CB9703AC.jpg

E0E7263C-1654-445B-8ED4-9CF2A900D068.jpg

1FE6EA96-0A47-405C-A7CD-2B3A0FAEFF60.jpg

6AAF55B1-1550-423B-B801-1213AFD3C0EF.jpg

Edited by molch
  • Like 2