ATF fluid in coolant

dutchy351

• Member For: 10y 3m 14d

Hey guys

I have ATF fluid in my coolant. Now I've replaced the radiator and dropped what I can of it, run a radiator flush through it which has removed a decent amount of the crud out of the system but it seems there's still a ton in there (I pulled some hoses to check and there's alot of deposits that seem like it'll be a pain to remove)

I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on how to remove the rest? I've read people using dishwashing detergent through it but I'm unsure of the idea.

Also while running the first flush the temp seemed fine, however after around 20 mins or so the temp gauge was around a quarter and I start to hear a few high pitch squeals coming from the cap on the header tank, it then starts to spit out small amounts of water. It seemed like the car was overheating a bit but didn't seem like it was too hot and the temp gauge was reading fine. Any ideas on that?

Ps: I know the gearbox has likely got coolant in there, it's no big hassle as the box is being replaced in a few weeks anyway.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

Can confirm this works for flushing oil from coolant areas. I use radiant as that's what's in my laundry. 

Be prepared to spend an hour or so flushing. 

Edit: make sure you run the heater too. 

Edited by Puffwagon

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 26d

no need to run the heater. Heater circuit always has flow.

Run the ac,stay cooler while you are flushing and put more heat into the rad to aid in breaking down the oil.

Ok so I'm guessing I premix this in some water first? Run it through like a regular flush? My biggest concern is getting all the gunk out of the cooling system in the block, I've bought a complete new hose kit to replace all the hoses. How do I know the block is clean? Run a hose through it? Sorry if they seem like stupid questions but I've never had to flush a cooling system before. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d
16 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Heater circuit always has flow.

You learn something new every day. 

I chose to clean my radiator rather than replace it and as such had a lot more cleaning to do. 

I just chucked scoops of powder into the header tank and forced it through with the yard hose.

Rather than rinse repeat I did a varied flushing cycle with no thermostat but rinse repeat will work. 

I also gave it another flush after a few weeks as minor amounts of oil were still appearing on the header tank cap. 

It's been clear for a while now.

So I ran some radiant through the cooling systems today and it seemed to work a treat, first time I ran it through a decent amount of sh*t came out, second time it was barely anything. 

The problem I now face is it seems like the car is overheating. First flush through I removed the thermostat (which was f##ked from the atf) and ran the car up to temp roughly half way between a quarter and half on the gauge and everything seemed sweet. Dropped the fluid and waiting for the block to cool before running more radiant and water through it. This time the car got slightly warmer and was showing very close to half on the guage, just as I was about to shut the car down water started spewing out of the header tank (I had left the cap off same as first time) I also noticed that I hadn't put the thermo fans back in the car. But the temp guage was reading just below half which seemed fine to me

My question is, could this be due to the fact that I have no thermostat? Could it be the fact that I had straight water and radiant in the car? Air in the system? I'm at a loss as the guage was reading fine. 

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 18d

You can't correctly diagnose a cooling systems operation without a thermostat and fans in place, get them back in and it will maintain temp with water in place no worries