Squeaky axle driving me mad

FiftyOne

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 26d

I've had a slight squeak from the axle on the ute for a little while, after replacing the pads its fairly bad (particually when cold)  The new pads are mostly bedded in now, however they're noisy for a few moments until they gain a bit of heat.

The other noise sounds like rubbing tin or something similar.  I've checked around the dust cover/stone guard behind the rotor and I can't see any obvious signs of wear or damage, noise only seems to be at lower speeds when turning.   Anyone suggest a place to start with this?  Am I right thinking it could be movement in the bearings?

• Member For: 10y 3m 25d

Sounds like a bent axle. Chuck a dial guage on the disc if you have one with the wheel nuts on. If it's out remove the disc and put the Dial gauge on the axle face. That will tell you if you have a bent disc or axle. If you don't have a dial gauge your can put it on stands and take the wheels off and let it run in first gear. Your will be able to see the caliper sliding if you have something bent/worn

Had any axle tramp lately?

No tramp, I'm running 10.5 rears and it seems to hold well.  Rarely push anything hard, that said I know the previous owners weren't the kindest people to it, maybe I've given it a final blow somewhere along the line.   I'll try to stick it in the shed over the weekend and have another look, Thanks Bamk

• Will do skids for food
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 23d

I vote for bent axle too.

Mine tramped at the drags one time and that was it.

Here's one I prepared earlier.

Yea mine looked worse than that. If they arnt cracked they can be straightend at a engine machine shop. I paid $90 to have 2 straightend. One of mine was out 3mm on the face. Several ton of force in a press and now straight as an arrow

The noise can vary as it's just pads/shoes rubbing so it can happen when hot or cold depending. Mine did it all the time but was louder when hot at low speeds and especially when turning.

Yep, bit warped both sides.  Try to figure out what the next steps are going to be now

(didn't have a gauge but this neat trick doubles the error and it's maybe 1.5mm, I don't know what that measurement is in old school anvil-forges)