BA wagon turbo conversion using ford parts

Lunchietey

• Member For: 13y 8m 21d

I tried all that (well I didn't lick it haha)

The old one was pretty good so that's back in with bulk sealant. Will fill it again after its had a while to dry 

Edited by Lunchietey

Test filled the cooling system, no leaks I can see. Hopefully stays that way under pressure.

Drilled the sump and fitted that after collecting the ECU from Ralph. It will have to wait now until I'm over my hangover haha but yeah would be REALLY surprised if it wasn't running by Monday afternoon.

• Like 2

So I fired it up(still on stands etc and only the cat pipe on) and seems to run happily with the new tune. Worryingly after about 60seconds there was some Blue smoke wafting up from under the heatshield near the turbo.... Can't see any leaks but definitely used a fair amount of inox etc in the process. Hopefully it's just all that as the manifold warmed up... *Fingers crossed*

Will do a couple of small jobs now, fit some more exhaust and get it off stands and try again!

• Like 2

Hmm.

Ok well initial fire up is fine, after about 20 seconds the idle seems to come down a touch but becomes quite rough. It is also at this time you can see the smoke I mentioned. It is at this point I switch it off. 

Also the oil pressure light goes out after starting (2 seconds) but oil pressure gauge(new Autometer) shows nothing. Will have to double check that but at least the OEM light is off so that should just be a gauge issue.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 26d

I wouldn't worry about the smoke man. If you've been spraying stuff then it's gonna smoke for a few minutes until it all burns off. Even the grease from your hands onto the manifold will make smoke.

• Like 1

Well I guess that's good to know! 

Gauges are definitely a wiring issue, no conductivity to Earth through the sandwich plate. Thought I checked it but apparently now they don't earth hence no signal. Also good to know.

Just fighting the exhaust now...

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

yeah, if it's not dripping or leaking obviously, then puff is definitely right about the smoke. good luck with it buddy :spoton:

Ok for some reason the centre section of the exhaust won't fit(hanger in wrong spot) so going to have to take it to the exhaust shop and get it all done at once.

So after confirmation that the gauges were not wired correctly (have to create a better earth when I do an oil change in a couple of hundred kms) I have gone for a quick drive!

Woohoo, positive pressure! (Boost gauge works fine :D ) no full throttle runs or anything but probably a couple of second gear half throttle squeezes to ensure it would boost, and that the gate was doing its job properly. Seems to make approximately the right 5psi boost and sounds great doing it with some nice over run crackles and plenty of audible whistle thanks to the very short exhaust. My turbo gear had a BOV delete so I even heard a tiny amount of flutter haha

The burning did seem to die down pretty fast too and I'll have a very thorough check of the engine tomorrow in daylight with no bloody rain!

Happy camper so far! And yeah makes boost extremely easily thanks to the higher comp!

• Like 2