BA wagon turbo conversion using ford parts

Lunchietey

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

A bit of oil pooling in the intake manifold runners is 100% normal for these cars. A catch can is the only good solution for this.

• Like 1

• Member For: 13y 7m 25d

Ah ok sweet. Thanks for the quick reply! I've got an hour of Dad duties while the missus gets her eyebrows done haha then off to Ford to pick up a couple of bits I ordered. Might just chuck a new PCV in anyway (as they are cheap) and the black right angled fitting looks like it is getting a crack so will do that too. Probably another full day tomorrow but I'm getting there!

Was wondering about that. Does a factory turbo have one? I mean the PCV IS a check valve, should only allow vapour to pass under vacuum and the ball should drop inside under pressure. Does it need a check valve or maybe yours was sticky?

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

He means that you'll need one-way-valve if you go the catch-can route. The stock system is fine as it is.

• Member For: 8y 5m 20d
Was wondering about that. Does a factory turbo have one? I mean the PCV IS a check valve, should only allow vapour to pass under vacuum and the ball should drop inside under pressure. Does it need a check valve or maybe yours was sticky?
It comes with one from factory. I didn't have one and wondered why it kept pushing the front and rear main seals out. I kept changing pcv valves and it didn't work. Called Ford and it has a one way valve in the middle of the hose.
  • Like 1

I can find almost no information about a factory check valve but makes sense if it's in the middle of the hose(not visible in normal pics) but did find one post on a stuffed PCV check valve with a pic of a small plastic inline check valve (definitely not the PCV)

I'll be heading to the Fraud dealer soon, will see if they have a part# for one. Probably just go ahead and put one in, easy cheap job.

• Like 1

You beat me to it! Just got back from Ford, and yes their schematic has a factory check valve(as per your pic) will have it tomorrow lunchtime with a new PCV and elbow :ok:

Funnily enough I'm currently looking at a very similar view haha

Edited by Lunchietey

Good productive day. Organised a lot of bits, and removed quite a bit. A couple of bolts/brackets to go to remove the inlet manifold to fit oil and water lines  and gauge tappings etc.

Changed fuel reg, map, almost every rubber cooling hose, fitted power steering cooling lines, ordered a few bits from ford, removed turbo again and replaced exhaust side steel line giving me the turbo water return.

Tomorrow will be a really good day I hope, will be able to actually start fitting/reassembly. Pretty excited!

• Like 2