BA wagon turbo conversion using ford parts

Lunchietey

• Member For: 13y 8m 22d

Have had fun trying to cram the intercooler, big ass trans cooler and power steering cooler in there. Now going to move the power steering cooler using an aftermarket cooler in behind driver side vent in the bumper. Don't really want to but I don't have enough room. Looks like I'll need to buy a new steel water line(exhaust side) for turbo water return as the one I have is damaged. Have a had to buy a lot of small things over the last couple of days which for anyone doing an NA to turbo swap is something you need to be prepared for. I don't mind as it means I've learnt a huge amount about it vs just dropping a whole engine in(which would definitely be easier!)

I swear the bumper support is different, the intercooler brackets lined up with pre existing holes BUT  the cooler simply can't fit like that(hits the support) I moved it slightly to the passenger side and redrilled and modified one bracket slightly. No big deal though and gives plenty of room for the full size derale trans cooler.

Some of the parts I have had to order are for minor customisation though and to make things a little easier ? 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

glad you're persisting with this. It's definitely a tricky road, by the sound of some of the things you're talking about.

Seems custom stuff like this is always a fair bit of stuffing about, in terms of redrilling/mounting/fabrication etc. :spoton:

Honestly the hardest part is trying to organise parts. Some are just ridiculously expensive from ford so trying to find decent parts from wrecked cars is hard(and they are always a long drive to get) and then ordering 'in stock' parts from Australian aftermarket suppliers express posted(because the part is holding up progress) only to recieve them a long time later OR simply being told they can't find them etc. 

Had one big name eBay store take 4 working days to post something I asked (and paid) to be express posted and then having to wait over the weekend as well. Said I'd receive in 2 days, get it in 7-8...

Edited by Lunchietey

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

I know those struggles, but probably not to the same depth as you. Everything always takes a lot longer when you're doing stuff like this.

• Member For: 14y 2m 2d

Hey mate,

Just popped back in after a wee while away and have read your thread from start to finish.

Well done and keep up the good work buddy! It'll all pay off in  the end and you'll have a nice looking turbo wagon

I've been toying with doing this exact conversion to my old BA wagon so you are inspiring me greatly! 

I converted my old EF wagon to a V8 from a DF fairlane, but I did it the easy way by parking both cars next to each other! You are doing it the hard way and I wish you all the best luck. 

Keep up the hard work and keep us updated too

• Like 1

The conversion itself isn't really that hard, just think of it like 15 small jobs. I've made it harder by doing a few extra jobs at the same time like installing gauges and fitting a big trans cooler has made it hard too. Also replacing all of the hoses etc for reliability and installing a power steering cooler, new turbosmart internal wastegate etc all add to the time. Now I'm basically waiting on about 10 small packages in the post haha.

Not a huge amount of progress today, had to do 3 hours of driving to pick up some bits and also removed the old exhaust and power steering cooler(glorified tube)

Tomorrow will be running power steering cooler lines, replacing the hot pipe with a non split item, install XR6T exhaust, install steel line on exhaust side of block(heater pipe). Then see what else I have time for!

Edited by Lunchietey

Done! (Got the plugs thank you!)

Just split the intake to do MAP and also to do fuel pressure regulator and then pull the rest of the manifold to change the water pipe and add the braided oil feed off the oil pressure switch (putting new switch in too).

Have noticed a very 'fuelly' smell with a small amount of visible liquid in the bottom of the intake runners. Also seems like the gasket between the manifold halves is oily? Seems odd although I know the PCV allows crank case vapour in, just wasn't expecting that much. Engine has 145 on the clock.

I guess this suggests maybe I should just get a new PCV anyway and possibly the injectors are leaky? I get a semi rough first 30 seconds after start up and the odd rich code so maybe I need some fresh injectors? Is a bit of oil on the intake gasket normal?

Edited by Lunchietey