BA wagon turbo conversion using ford parts

Lunchietey

• Member For: 13y 8m 12d

Hi.

Ok so after much headscratching and endless forum searches, I THINK I have most of the info needed to bolt on a complete XR6 turbo system(all stock) onto an NA BA wagon.

My question which I'm not 100% sure on is boost control. 

My understanding is the electronic boost control is an external solenoid on the XR6T so I can simply run a line from the intake manifold straight to the turbo boost actuator without a solenoid and get a lazy 5psi? Is that correct?

I fully understand that boost won't come on as quickly without the solenoid and obviously be lower than a stock XR6T but I just want it all simple to begin with. After that I can tap a boost tee in for 8psi or more.

For reference, my shopping list is...

Complete turbo system from BA XR6T (minus solenoid) including intercooler etc and all pipework and factory airbox. This includes oil and water lines etc and will need to tap the sump.

Bigger injectors and fuel pump, probably get new injectors like Bosch blue or just go straight for the green 968s?

Full turbo back exhaust etc in 3"

Big Trans cooler for the auto and shift kit for firmer shifts.

2bar map sensor from XR6T or maybe just get a new one.

Full dyno tune/flash obviously on NA ecu(have a tuner lined up)

Boost tee for higher boost.

Anything else obvious I'm missing?

Thanks very much!

Edited by Lunchietey

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 5d
6 minutes ago, Lunchietey said:

I can simply run a line from the intake manifold straight to the turbo boost actuator without a solenoid and get a lazy 5psi? Is that correct?

No, you run a line from the compressor housing of the turbo to the actuator and it'll run 5-6psi if it's a stock actuator.

For the boost control itself, if you have a turbo loom, boost pressure sensor and turbo PCM, you can run the factory boost control solenoid. Boost tee is not ideal as your tuner will have to stuff around to get the boost right. But if you want to go down this pathway, make sure your tuner is comfortable with that.

Liaise with your tuner as to which injectors you should get.

You'll need the turbo T-MAP sensor or your turbo PCM won't be able to control boost properly. You need to install this AT the tuner, as the car doesn't run properly/at all with the wrong T-MAP sensor in there.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 23d

Your plan is fine.

If/when you plan to up the boost don't use boost T get a decent boost controller (eboost street or eboost 2 for example) they can be had for a couple of hundred bucks secondhand and will work perfectly with your intended setup.

Turbo Tmap is not a straight plug in, the pin out is slightly different so you will need to change that. The pinouts are readily avaliable on the WWW.

Don't bother with turbo pcm/loom/etc add significant cost for no real benefit in a conversion such as this.

Awesome!

I had thought running the boost reference from after the cooler would give a more accurate representation of boost at the intake vs straight off the compressor housing but either way is fine by me. This is just me overthinking probably due to being a process technician and we always reference pressure as close as possible to the final point for accuracy as it varies across heat exchangers and through pipework obviously.

So it sounds as if as long as I use a decent electronic boost controller and hook it up like a normal turbo then all will be well. I haven't seen any of the factory XR6T gear in person so just wasn't sure there would be any wierd boost control setup or anything that was hard to get around!

Will get an eboost organised and will have the 2bar map installed. I'm going to trailer the wagon to the tuners behind my 4wd so I'll do almost all EXCEPT the injectors and fuel pump as I want all fuel related gear done by a proper mechanic even if it's simple!

Might try and find a typhoon cooler as well just for added heat loss painted black.

I want this whole system as stealth from outside as humanly possible!

Had a look at the eboost installation diagram and yes it all makes sense now. Hose direct from compressor housing to actuator with the eboost solenoid in between with a vacuum/boost line from the inlet manifold to the eboost for reference.

Done!

Off to have a look at a low km wagon in a few hours, then tomorrow to start stripping the XR6T donor bits and order a bunch of stuff of eBay!

Thankyou for the help, I believe I am on the right track now!

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2m 3d

@Lunchietey have a look at this thread, turbo wagon details starting at this post: 

http://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/54223-crapri-drag-car/?page=18#comment-1556063

Top thread, for both capri and wagon reading

That is a VERY nice wagon!

It says he's using an F6 exhaust? Obviously it would need modification but how much is bolt on? Would save me a lot of trouble being able to use the first section at least after the dump.

On that note, I'm assuming most/all aftermarket dump pipes fit the wagon,and most mid pipes should fit just not the back half of the exhaust?

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 2m 3d

@Ralph Wiggum is there much if any similarity between a ute and wagon exhaust? Since similar length chassis, same diff etc

The ute is slightly longer from memory.

Modding a ute exhaust may be a cheap way to go if you have the skills to do it yourself?