audio whine with aftermarket headunit

Force88

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 7m 13d

I know theres a hundred topics on this but they all seem to be about using the standard ford ICC and aux. I thought that was my problem too so I spent the whole weekend installing a new headunit. started the car up and the whine noise is still as crazy as it was before. :hang: seems to get worse with lights/aircon on and really loud when the rear window demister on. some days its not that audible but other days I pull the car over and rip the control wire out of the amps because its that bad. because the noise stayed exactly the same after the head unit change, what else could I look at doing to stop the noise?

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d

Is your RCA or speaker wire run with your power cables? If so, I highly suggest running them on separate sides of the car or shielding them further.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

I did split apart the speaker wires and the RCA cables, but the car seems to have power running down both sides so theres no way of getting everything away from eachother without ripping the entire insides out. car already had an aftermarket amp in it, I ran RCA from HU to the amp and then the amp runs the speaker cables back through the car.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Ideal setup: replace the big 3 (battery earth to chassis strap, chassis strap to engine block, alternator positive to battery) with quality 0-gauge wire and connectors, and at least have a 10mm gap between the power cables for the amp/HU and the RCA's/speaker wires.

• Donating Members

had a bit of a mess around just before and realised that most of the whine noise is coming from the rear speakers. bloke I bought the car off must have only upgraded the fronts and tweeters but left the rears the standard cardboard sh*tters. when I pull their wires out of the amp the whine sound is just about completely gone. I can hear a tiny bit of whine but not deafening like it was. do standard speakers not like being amped?

• Donating Members

replaced the rear speakers this arvo and still have the whining noise basically only coming from the back, really loud with the rear window demister on. strange how the whine basically only comes from the rear speakers. next step might be to rewire the rear speakers and keep them away from the demister power... failing that ill give the main earths a replacing but since the noise is only really coming from the back and I barely heard it all the days I had the rear speakers disconnected I dunno if that's gonna be the fix im after.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 7m 13d

Id be looking at earthing issues before replacing anything else specifically around the head unit and depending on the setup on the parcel shelf and the likes as well as mentioned big 3

• Member For: 17y 10m 3d

^^^^ He is onto it... Almost all audio whines are a result of poor earthing.... Do not use a factory earth wire. Go directly to chassis ground and make sure that you remove the paint under the terminal..

Edited by HI PSI