Tired turbo, time to see how much money I don't have

FiftyOne

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 27d

Had a bit of a look around but I haven't found any clear answers re using a GTX3582 for the power I'm after so I'm after a few opinions.

Turbo has sounded a little dry for a while on shutdown, a friend mentioned there was a reasonable puff of smoke as I took off the other day and I'm fairly sure it's shaft seal. Although everything is still fine now I'm thinking I want to get something done sooner than later.

So;

-Rebuild the stock F6 unit?   I'm not a huge fan of bush bearing turbos, technology has come a fair way and for most aftermarket applications ball bearing is the go.  This option is however the cheapest, mostly as I will not require a retune

Assuming I'm going to tune with power on 98 in the mid 300's, sticking with the same exhaust setup as I'm currently running. I'd prefer to bring the power on a little earlier and lower in the range, I don't track or race the ute, it's a comfortable streetable package that I just get around in.

-Maybe find a GTX3576 secondhand (as they don't sell them any more)

-Grab a secondhand GTX3582 for a good price a guy I know is selling, however what I know of this unit it is probably oversized for this application?

-Go the full wog and have a GTX3576 gen2 built as a drop in replacement to what I've currently got.

The gen2 option is the most expensive, however it's maybe the better option as it's a far more known quantity than a secondhand unit (that potentially is too big for the application)

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

just replace stock for stock, unless you want a different experience

a replacement CHRA is fairly cheap and not too bad to install yourself.

• Like 2

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Just rebuild the stocker, cheapest option and can make plenty of power

if you have money to burn GTX gen 2 

Edited by arronm

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 27d

Probably fair comments with the rebuild, thanks guys.  Suppose there is the option to re core it with a ball bearing unit without a lot of other hassle which ticks a lot of boxes.  I'll sleep on it & see where I get, I've got to sort out the daily first :cry:<fml>lost all drive coming through a roundabout yesterday </fml>

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

Good luck finding rebuild parts for GT series turbo's. Garrett stopped supporting them prior to the release of Gen1 GTX's and have now done the same with the Gen1 GTX post Gen2 release.

A good secondhand GT3582 or a china CHRA (depending on what you intend to do with the car longer term) are probably you most cost effective options.