Tuning regrets

Snails_pace

• Member For: 7y 1m 4d

Anyone regret tuning their T?

I've not had my car long, so I plan to put a few mods into it and get it tuned once I'm used to the stock power. Which after a few weeks, is pretty much now.

That being said, I've read plenty of stories of people unhappy with their tunes, with ongoing reliability/driveability problems after a tune. 

I'm not interested in opening the financial can of worms of having to go back and forth to tuners to get the car running well. Not to mention time. If this is the reality of getting it tuned I'll just enjoy the car for what it is and leave it stock.

Only minor mods planned. No horespower hero:

Cooler

Cat

CAI

Injectors.

BF11 auto.

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 10m 24d

As long as you're not planning on selling it, I'd say no. Just man sure you get a decent tuna and plan your mods smartly

• Member For: 12y 7m 2d

I tried to keep my BF stock,  figured the thing would just break more often if modded. Over time I found myself constantly fixing all the “normal” sh*t that goes wrong with these cars anyway.

I should’ve just modded it and enjoyed it more when it was actually driving.

If done correctly, basic mods don’t seem to be detrimental to the longevity, unless of course you abuse them.

Re-sale value is another aspect , I'm just talking about the joys of driving these cars.

Edited by Ale

• Member For: 7y 1m 4d

I guess the reality for me is, I hardly get the opportunity to open it up and enjoy it to its full potential anyway. I've rarely got more than a few points on my license to spare and I drive for a living.

Might just keep it stock for a while and see how it goes.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

short story: nobody regrets the actual tune (from a competent tuner). Tune only is a reasonable "stock-ish" pathway.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

Modifying cars is time consuming, frustrating at times and a waste of money.

If any of that stuff bothers you then leave it stock.

We mostly only hear the bad stories about failed tunes and forget that there are thousands of cars out there with good tunes.

The reality of getting your car modified and tuned is that you will have a fast car that will wear out quicker and has a higher possibility of breaking stuff. The more you mod the more you break or wear out until you upgrade again.

Who cares though cos racecar :3gears:

• Like 2

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

getting mine tuned on 98 from a reputable tuner was the best thing ever. got more kays to a tank. ran better, a little bit more poke. was great! definitely worth it.

now 

1 hour ago, Snails_pace said:

I guess the reality for me is, I hardly get the opportunity to open it up and enjoy it to its full potential anyway. I've rarely got more than a few points on my license to spare and I drive for a living.

Might just keep it stock for a while and see how it goes.

I hardly get the opportunity either, that's what the drag strip is for or do some track days.

doesnt matter if you have a 400kw car or a 200 kw car. 5 kays over and you get dicked you still lose either way. power means sh*t. just self control.

• Like 3

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 23d

Get the tune and you will not regret it.
I have had my car tuned through many stages of upgrades and changes but I am always really impressed with how smooth everything runs. The first tune I ever had was with just a cooler and air box upgrade and I could not get the smile of my face :-)