Clunk on kickdown

Snails_pace

• Member For: 7y 1m 4d

I recently bought a mk11 Bf Turbo with a ZF.

I've been driving it daily for a couple of weeks now so am just getting familiar with it.

I gave it a stab the other day as I joined traffic on the highway, I was in D and when it kicked back to accelerate I got a nasty clunk from the ass end. Felt like diff slap.

Its only happened once so that's about as well as I can describe it.

car has just clicked 90,000km and other than weak as piss brakes feels tight everywhere else.

Surely this isn't normal when hitting it in D?

First auto car I've ever owned

• Member For: 7y 1m 4d

Thanks mate.

Shame they let that feature through programming, but good to know it's not something I need to address mechanically.

If it wasn't for the fuel economy in D, I would just leave it in Perf' mode all the time. Feels so much perkier.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

haha ZF clunks when dropping back to first even with new diff bushes. Stuffed diff bush(es) would make the issue far more present in both that situation and others.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

None of that is true in my experience. It changes into first with a jolt when travelling slowly in second but there is no clunking coming from the gearbox or anywhere else in that specific scenario.

Before I replaced my diff bushes the car would only clunk when getting right the fark up it. It was fairly normal in everyday driving apart from a bit of swaying in the rear end. The bushes were cactus when I pulled them out.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

Yep it's easy enough. Op could just try a few kickdowns to see if he can repeat the noise and narrow it down.

It's pretty easy to tell a harsh shift into first from a huge bang coming from the bushes. Depending on his power level and diff bush farkedness (assuming it is a diff bush issue) it might do it from 3rd to 2nd as well.