Random engine noise

menicing

• Member For: 11y 3m 6d

Anyone have any thoughts on this noise I've got, notice it starts after I've been for a drive or possibly when engine is warmed up. First I though idler bearing but changed that and still happening, all I can think of now is something to do with chain or cam phasers but the noise is so random there's no pattern

• Member For: 11y 3m 6d

started the car to see if I could hear it and was only just able to make it out (cold), took belt off and didn't notice the sound so let it run for a minute and still nothing, put belt back on and could notice the sound but again was barely audible. Currently warming up the car to test it again when its more noticeable

Is it the belt itself or something like the tensior rattling and why its not a constant sound and more random

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 5d

It's a split belt. 

Noise isn't consistent because belt speed is much higher than engine rpm and the belt isn't timed so the same section of belt doesn't contact the same section of pulley each rotation. 

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

fk me my ute started marking this same rattling sound on the weekend. seems to be a bit random when it does it.

how do I upload a video?

Edited by Ford Freak