Question about my new xr6 turbo

Matts_XR6T

• Member For: 7y 8d

Hi guys, Ive had my ba mk2 turbo ute for about a week. its my first big car, im 19. people have been telling me how dangerous the utes are and they skid easy. 

Ive floored it a few times from a stop and it hasnt skid. not that I want it to. im just wondering if mine is down on power? or if people exaggerate these cars. 

I love the car, its a big change from my 1990 camry lol. if it helps it has a saas bov fitted and pod filter. 6 speed manual also. 

Thank you, Matt :)

• Like 1

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 29d

welcome

could be anything, where are you located we can point you in the right direction to get a pro to give it a once over.

could be a turbo on its way out, blocked cat, list goes on. 

a dyno check up will show things too. 

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 14d

Well, of course they skid easy if you're trying to. It's the wet weather and boost combination you need to be careful of even with stock power. If you clutch kick it at high enough rpm, they can be very dangerous (read: fun if you control it)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 25d

If I bought a turbo ford and it felt lazy the first thing I would check is that the turbo and exhaust manifold fasteners are tight.

They can come loose and make the turbo slow to spool but it'll still make power eventually. 

Getting a full inspection from the right shop won't cost much and will let you get the jump on possible repairs or maintenance before it gets out of hand.

Better get some pics of the beast aye :spoton:

• Like 2

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 26d

come by mine and I'll take it for a spin and diagnose the 'will not skid' issue.

xr6 turbos are not exaggerated, stock they are slow as hell though I will admit LOL.

one mate rode in my old BF (360rwkw) when it wasn't running 100% and thought it was slow. Was funny as when I took em for a spin before selling it with it running sweet cause he was suddenly screaming at me to stop accelerating. in this case it was the pipework to the throttle body coming loose (aftermarket)

the revs where it makes power sound about right. simply hold the clutch in and floor it and let the clutch out suddenly. job done. probably have to jump on the brakes a little though if your engine is stock though. in my stock BA that's long gone I always did skids on the brake but in the BF that I just sold I didn't have to use the brakes hehehe

Edited by skidxr6t
  • Like 1

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 29d
1 hour ago, Matts_XR6T said:

thanks, im in perth, wa. the car is definatley fast, after about 2500-3000 revs. seems to be lacking low down pick up

you answered you own question then

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m

Where abouts in Perth are you?

Also replace that abortion of an intake/filter setup with a stock airbox with an F6 Snorkel (or an F6 airbox) as a start.

Edited by Ralph Wiggum
  • Like 1