XR6T mk1 audio upgrade idea - possible???

wixy

• Member For: 7y 9m 14d

I love my Mk1 XR6T but my biggest gripe is the antiquated premium audio system (not so premium). I'd love to completely update the system including double din head unit (with android auto) so I can use Google Maps, Spotify, watch videos etc, but more importantly to get QUALITY sound out to new amp/speakers/subwoofer.  Not interested in a single din head unit in place of the tissue box holder.

This is my idea (and being a complete newbie this idea is probably highly flawed):

FG_audio_idea.jpg

I know it's possible to relocate the stock ICC down low (have seen it done on another forum), but I'm not sure if the 7" Kenwood could fit up top - is there enough depth available?

I'd appreciate some feedback on whether this idea is possible from people with the experience and know how.

This aside, I can't help shake the feeling that this would be a "tacky" upgrade given the standard CD player and controls would become redundant.  Wish I could so something about these as well!

• Member For: 10y 7m 4d

The Overline will only fit the BA/F/Territory.

Any mod you do will require a very shallow chassis size unit, I have had inside info that the next gen Kenwood mechless units will be !!! ... so this is promising and I will give it a go in my own car ... but not until the Kenwoid becomes available.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d
2 minutes ago, 351Dave23 said:

The Overline will only fit the BA/F/Territory.

1 hour ago, k31th said:

something like this, but for FG...

:nyaah:

• Member For: 7y 9m 14d
5 minutes ago, 351Dave23 said:

Any mod you do will require a very shallow chassis size unit

Is this true though of the mk2 ICC which protrudes out much more than the mk1 ICC?

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 24d

getting amps/gps etc etc to integrate into the factory ford sh*t is a pita. finicky and can be costly.

go a fg colour screen with all the add ons for gps. then upgrade the speakers see how you go. 

going the mkII screen has a few bugs still. dont think ironed out yet. still glitchy. 

your mad wanting to relocate the icc. id go see a top end audio place and see what they can do imo. esp if you want that car play sh*t. 

good luck