Emissions Light

Dominus

• Member For: 7y 6m 6d

Hey guys, thought its about time to start another topic here.

Those that have read some of my previous threads would know the car in question, for those that don't - '06 BF2 Typhoon, 76k on the clock.  

On the way home from work yesterday afternoon my emissions light came on. I used to own a little Barina many years ago that ended up having a faulty 02 sensor which displayed the same emissions light, and I drove it around like that for a long time before getting the issue fixed. What I want to know is, is it safe to drive around? I didnt care if I did damage while driving the Barina, but obviously I care for the Phoon and wouldnt want to drive it if I could potentially cause issues.

Should I stop by my local exhaust shop and get the sensor checked? The exhaust is a custom 4" turbo back, and I've never had this light come on before.

• Member For: 8y 11m 21d

Does your custom dump pipe even have an o2 senor on it. Or has it been moved further down the exhaust system.

If it does still have one change it out for a new genuine ford one.

$142 bucks at the top end of the price scale.

So its a pretty cheap way to eliminate one of the potential problems.

In regards to doing damage it's really only exhaust gasses so I wouldn't have thought it would been an issue.

But better to safe than sorry.

Good luck mate.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Ignore all above advice

Rip a big skid to clean out the existing 02 sensor

Gotta be really big though, and filmed and posted here

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Box stock T. said:

Does your custom dump pipe even have an o2 senor on it. Or has it been moved further down the exhaust system.

If it does still have one change it out for a new genuine ford one.

$142 bucks at the top end of the price scale.

So its a pretty cheap way to eliminate one of the potential problems.

In regards to doing damage it's really only exhaust gasses so I wouldn't have thought it would been an issue.

But better to safe than sorry.

Good luck mate.

In all honesty, I'm not sure mate. They must have put the original sensor back on when changing the CAT because as far as I know, this is the first time the warning light has come on, and the exhaust was installed in 2009. I couldnt imagine that the cartridge would be dirty either as the km's are still pretty low. I'm guessing something caused the sensor to go.  

6 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Has the car been tuned with the 4" turbo back?

Yes, the car has been tuned - 340rwkw with all the bolt-on's. I have the Xcal tuner, could maybe clear the code with it, but it would probably just come straight back if the sensor is faulty.

3 hours ago, discostig said:

Ignore all above advice

Rip a big skid to clean out the existing 02 sensor

Gotta be really big though, and filmed and posted here

Hahaha mate, if those P Zero's werent $350 a pop I'd be shredding them to bits!

• Like 1

• Member For: 8y 11m 21d

Ignore all of steve's (discostigmister') advice he's just a big kent anyway:mosking:

Find the sensor and change it kilometers on the clock doesn't normally determine when the sensor will fail or give in correct reading.

Poor fuel quality and not driving the car for long periods of time or even just a crap tune can foul them.

Find it Change it.

Fair point Andrew. I'm gonna have to check after work tomorrow before I consider ordering parts. 

5 hours ago, Box stock T. said:

Ignore all of steve's (discostigmister') advice he's just a big kent anyway:mosking:

Find the sensor and change it kilometers on the clock doesn't normally determine when the sensor will fail or give in correct reading.

Poor fuel quality and not driving the car for long periods of time or even just a crap tune can foul them.

Find it Change it.

Haha every post of Steve's I've read have involved skids in one way or the other :busted1:

You are 100% right mate. I'm gonna sort it asap. Better to order the part myself and have it installed at an exhaust place Im guessing?

Alright fellas, used the flash tuner to scan the error code: "P1132 Lack of ho2s1 SWT RICH"

From my brief searches it seems like it could be either a faulty o2 sensor as I initially thought, or it could be a dirty MAF sensor, or a leak in intake/IC piping causing an irregular fuel mixture and the car is running rich. Can anyone confirm if I'm on the right track here?

I cleaned out my air filter a few weeks ago, and I'm starting to think that I might not have secured the airbox to intake piping well enough, and it has come slightly loose causing a leak. I will have to do some inspecting this weekend.

I have cleared the code for now, but I am expecting it to come back soon enough. Let me know what you guys think. 

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

I'd have a go at the o2 sensor then I reckon. A vacuum leak is more likely to make you lean rather than rich, as extra air is being sucked in. These cars have a pressure sensor rather than a MAF and are less likely to be impacted by getting dirty. (I think this also means they are less susceptible to leaks, as they are measuring overall intake system pressure including leaks, rather than air passing a particular point like a MAF where air entering/leaving after that point is a problem). Leaks before the turbo, eg airbox, shouldn't matter.