6R80 parts into ZF6

espoig

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 6m 24d

Hey guys trying to find all the information possible about using 6R80 parts in the ZF

Found the following on the Aussie V8 forums

For a while now I have been asked a lot of questions about the 6HP26 input shaft by the Ford guys.

Customers have advised me that this reasonably simple upgrade by some companies can cost between 5 and 7k and that’s without having the converter looked at or upgraded.

I think its common knowledge now that the ZF box will snap an input shaft and the intermediate shaft if you’re pushing it, the transmission software/tune is a contributing factor but upgrading the two shafts will increase the reliability of the transmission significantly. I have seen and heard of cars running into the 8’s at over 160 mph in America with the 6R80. The ZF is pretty much an identical transmission with many components directly interchangeable, some need a little modification.

Some shops have a replacement shaft for both pieces and others use Ford 6R80 components.

Personally I like the 6R80 parts; they are cheaper, proven to be up to the task and come with several added benefits.

The 6R80 pump assembly will go straight into a 6HP26; it has a larger diameter stator shaft with the same spline as many GM transmissions, Powerglide and Turbo 400 etc. The pump gears are wider which is desirable, especially as the ZF unit is so hard on bushes. The GM spline opens the door to a wider range of high performance converter parts, multi plate clutches and performance converter combinations.

For those that want to stick with the 6HP26 Converter, the 6R80 splines can be easily cut into the ZF turbine hub and a GM sprag inner race is available.

The 6R80 input shaft is also known as the “E” clutch drum; this part is significantly larger in diameter than the 6HP26 shaft. The sealing ring grooves are also not as deep as the ZF shaft so it is superior in all ways. When using the 6R80 shaft you cannot use the ZF sealing rings. You must use the 6R80 sealing rings which are available as both scarf cut Teflon or a solid Teflon ring whatever you prefer.

The “E” Clutch commonly has 6 lined plates and some factory boxes will have 7 depending on designation. The 6 plate clutch has 3.0 mm steel plates while the 7 plate has 2.4 mm steels.

I have toyed with the idea of having steel plates custom made to accommodate more frictions but I think 7 plates does the job well and the factory steel plates are treated to increase heat resistance and lubricity adding to its durability. Any plates I can have made won’t have these advantages.

Exedy have a kit available with some friction plates and steel plates which I have used but it is also quite expensive. I don’t see any significant advantage to use the Exedy plates over genuine ZF frictions and steels but others may have their own opinion on that. I have used the ZF steel plates with the Exedy frictions without any problems.

This transmission has a desirable range of piston travel in the “E” clutch, adding more lined plates requires more clearance and therefore increased piston travel. Adding more frictions can come with drawbacks with shift quality and the transmission programming. The factory uses a maximum of 7 plates and that’s enough to snap shafts so I don’t think friction capacity is a big problem for the majority of people.

The ZF has a couple of different types of intermediate shafts and both will snap at high horsepower levels. Some people believe cryogenic treatment is enough to eliminate the weakness but I am not convinced. Billet shafts made locally are available for roughly $1400AU to $1600AU.

There is a 6R80 300M shaft available from Canada which retails there for about $565US.

The upgrade components are readily available and are not that expensive compared to the prices that have been reported. The components can be supplied as a kit along with a strengthened converter for around 2k.

With the transmission on the bench it takes about 3-4 hours to carry out the work. Guys who have done it a few times will be able to do it in less than 2 hours.

It is worth doing a little research on this upgrade as there is serious money to be saved if you’re contemplating or need to have it done.

http://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/fo6rcoupexst.html Exedy Clutches and 300M Billet Shaft for $1098usd

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d

Looks like you are in Perth. If so take the box to Simon at XFT he has spent 100s of hours of R & D using the 6R80 input shaft 

It is now the only way to build a good reliable box.  Even the Nizpro billet can break. 

Simon also fits in many more plates than std, resulting in a greater working surface area. 

Edited by arronm
  • Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 11m 18d

As said, if you are in Perth either XFT or Monsta Torque, I personally would go with Monsta Torque cheaper and better after care imo. But both are reputable. I am running the billet mustang shaft in mine and it is awesome. But I think you are under estimating by saying it can be done in 2 hours, it is a fairly large job! And if you are going to that effort then I highly suggest you throw a Allfast converter in it. Give you the stall speed, ability to lock or unlock it and retains the street friendliness unlike other converters on the market. It is also about 1/3rd of the price.

Also a Cyro intermediate shaft will be fine.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Here is a random link that might get some people excited.

Also someone should try this or a variation thereof on their zf equipped car so I don't blow mine up trying it out :whistle:

Edit: It's all safe for work.

Edited by Puffwagon
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...