ZF cooler, help me decide

Snails_pace

• Member For: 7y 2m 1d

Evening folks

I've just bought an auto BF turbo and to avoid milkshaking I need to I <3 Bananas off the factory heat exchanger.

I've read so many opinions on air/oil coolers and PWR exchangers if I read anymore I will punch myself in the face. 

PWR exchanger.

Oil/air behind fog light no thermo fan.

Oil/air behind fog light with thermo fan.

Oil/air no thermo is the most tempting as its cheaper. The other two are about same same price wise. 

Alot of the threads I've read are old, hoping to get some up to date info. Whats proved itself and what hasn't?

Car will be daily driven but im not shy to give it a squirt. No track days.

So please, tell me what to get because Im sick of researching this sh*t.

Thanks

• Like 1

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 28d

Before I sold mine I had it on my mind to install an air-to-oil cooler with thermostat and fan somewhere under the car.

personally I would go this route as then there is no risk of milkshake and long as you use a certain size hose the box will apparently be happy.

• Member For: 7y 2m 1d

Thanks for the replies.

Have a PWR 280x255x19mm cooler(PWO6634) in the mail. Havent decided where to put it yet.

Was set on behind the fog light, no fan, until my brother had a minor accident the other day in his BA turbo. He only just kissed a guard rail but the damage was to the exact spot the cooler would have been which has put me off.

So its a toss up betweem front mounting it and mounting under body, between the chassis rails. CMS style. I like the idea of under the body as it significantly reduces the length of hose used which may have a positive effect on pressures? Whilst a thermo in this position would be ideal, I think the possibility of damage is pretty high, so I will try without.

Can anyone recommend me a 1/2" inline temp sensor to monitor temps? Also, what size joiner do I need to join the 2 coolant lines once I delete the factory heat exchanger?

• Member For: 7y 11m 6d

Me pick me :panda:

My temps mirror the coolant temps. Sometimes a degree cooler. 

If you're not doing track days or getting serious with it, no thermo is fine behind the fog light.

• Like 1