XR6 NA 4speed Auto 2.73Diff?

firemanpek

• Member For: 7y 2m 6d

Hi all, I have an XR6 NA ute with a cactus standard diff. There is a cheap $400 rebuilt Diff on Gumtree near me, but it is for the XR6T I.e 2.73 ratio. My question is would I be able to put this in my ute with the 4speed Auto(standard). I dont mind if it doesn't accelerate hard, I just want a cheap fix as the ute was cheap and I dont want to pour money into it. It is a dedicated LPG with 230000 km or so. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 25d
  • Member For: 7y 2m 6d

Thanks for the quick reply. I think the diff(wheel to wheel) is in good condition and close by, I just need to know if it wil be driveable with such a tall ratio, or whether it will not even shift into top gear until 120kh. I understand it is meant for the 6sp Auto, but I am a cruiser and just coast around. The original diff is still driveable, just very noisey.

I appreciate any answers anyone can give 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

You gotta do some maths to see how the new diff will affect your speed. The btr already has a crappy first gear ratio so I wouldn't want to make it worse.

Perhaps a visit to the local diff shop may provide a reasonable price to repair your car as is.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

I just replied to your pm but will say that you should have enough info to decide if you want to buy this $400 diff or just wait until you can get the right one.

The extra strain on the gearbox might not be that bad if there is only a 20% difference in speed and you take it easy.

I prefer to do stuff right the first time as I'm too lazy to do it twice but I'm sure you can decide what to do.

Gtg I have homebrew that needs attending.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 28d

Just get the same diff ratio.   Easy to fit seeing as it's a ute. 

Looks like plenty at the wreckers. Just give them a call and you will also get warranty.