Just bought my first barra

Kato1290

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

shouldn't pay any more than $1.5k for a fresh dyno tune and an xcal4. You don't necessarily need a full dyno-tune, though, you just need to make sure your car is running OK, so a run-up on a dyno plus some good mechanical/technical advice is what you need to diagnose and get your car running OK first. Then you can think about getting an xcal and a custom tune.

• Like 1

• Member For: 8y 11m 21d

I would be thinking you should get a set of injectors (installed ) and a complete reflash tune done for $2k. Including the Xcal4 Sct hand unit.

Sounds like ya might need to scrap the tune you already have and start again.

Maybe......

Edited by Box stock T.
  • Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

I'd start by confirming if the tune is stock with the intention of getting it tuned if it is. 

If you have no intention of ever getting it tuned and the tune is stock then the turbo swap would be the way to go. 

At this stage I'd only be concerned with diagnosing the issue and not rushing out and spending money on tuning and other parts.

It'll take a tuner all of 10 minutes to tell you if your tune is stock or not. 

• Member For: 7y 1m 12d

Good info fellas cheers

I had no intension of chasing power with the car just wanted something a bit more exciting to drive as a daily, but now theres a problem

with it and I'm starting to learn very fkng quickly about these cars the bug is starting to bite, god help me!!

Closest tuner to me has quoted $1675 for tune $720 for injectors plus whatever else might be wrong. This seems pretty steep to me

I guess the tune is around the money but $720 for injector? Thoughts please I need all the advise I can get here

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

good quality injectors (injector dynamics) can be that expensive.

1675 is around the mark (a little high, but not unacceptably high) for a xcal4 + custom dyno tune.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Yep it ain't cheap. I recently spent over 2k for a new upgraded turbo instead of spending 1k for a near stock replacement. 

My thinking is why waste a grand on a stock turbo when I can have a good one for double the price.