• Member For: 7y 1m 21d

Hi guys new to this site as Iv never owned a xr6 turbo.

im going to look at a 2004 BA xr6 turbo in the morning done 175,000kms clean as a whistle all service history there also come with 8 months reg and a roadworthy certificate. 

Now iv been told a few things to look out for when buying one like the rear diff bushes.. Iv never been told how to check if the turbo is still ok .. Can someone tell me the easiest way to check if the turbo still has a fair bit of life left in it?

keep in mind I'v never driven a xr6 turbo before so I may not notice loss of power as much as everyone else would... The car is completely stock and engine bay is pretty clean no rubber on the guards but this is a far as I'v got... Any help would be awesome 

• Member For: 8y 10m 19d

check rear control blade bushing as well. very common for them to fail before 100k.
also that there's no vibrations during drive as it might be tailshaft balancing problem.
ask whether owner replaced filter in little oil feed line to turbo. they tend to clog up and cause catastrophic turbo failure if bearings get starved of fresh oil.

• Like 1

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 7m 23d

Hey welcome! :welcome2:

My suggestion is don't buy the first thing that comes along.  I've noticed it always looks good on paper.  You only really know if its good or not if you've had a chance to compare with lots of different ones that are on sale.  You'll know when its the one - price will be right and it will have the right features in the condition that you are after.  

What perked your interest in XR6T's?  If it was a mate's - maybe get him to come along on your first several inspections of cars on sale to get his viewpoint.  

But definitely drive as many as you can to get a feel for what feels right and what does not.  You'll also get an appreciation of conditions of things like interior and engine having driven several of them - things like brake shudder (very very common in early BAs - its very rare not to have brake shudder unless the owner has changed out the rotors and pads to something else that is not Ford OEM).

Chatting on line and posting up is good - but nothing beats face to face so depending on where you are based - feel free to join us at an event so you can chat with some of us "knowledgeable" old farts (and not so old farts) to give you a leg up on what to look out for and also for what you might want to do later on (what you buy now may limit what you can do later on).  Like generally don't buy the 5 speed manual if you plan to upgrade the power (ducks for cover as am sure there are plenty of 5 speed manuals doing quite nicely out there).

Many of the other guys on here will offer their pearls of wisdom as well.  Also check the search function and the pinned threads - they often hold very valuable and relevent information written by owners who have been there and done that.

Good luck with it :beerchug:

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, hpfmnst said:

check rear control blade bushing as well. very common for them to fail before 100k.
also that there's no vibrations during drive as it might be tailshaft balancing problem.
ask whether owner replaced filter in little oil feed line to turbo. they tend to clog up and cause catastrophic turbo failure if bearings get starved of fresh oil.

If the filter in the oil feed line to the turbo has not been replaced is this enough reason to steer clear of this car or would it still be ok and need done asap? How much would that filter cost to get changed on average? Thanks 

Thanks guys.. Appreciate your help.. 

Reason iv chosen xr6t is because I owned a BA (non turbo) years ago and loved it and never had an issue...

I have looked a a sh*tload of car already been hunting for the last 3-4weeks and this one just caught my attention stood out from the crowd so to speak love the way it looks and within my price range I just worry it's all good now and then 2 weeks later something blows like the turbo but hey this could happen to any car... Just gotta check what I can and hope for the best haha 

not it really looking to mod it in any way at this stage just happy to have a nice clean tidy car as I'm currently driving a bit of a bomb..

I get soo nervous bout buying a car lol does my head in but I will get there..

Edited by Tubz91

• Member For: 7y 10m 10d

Welcome Tubz. 

I bought my bf with the screen still in the oil feed line. It didn't last long till I removed it and put a braided line on. It's not a hard job if you're replacing the line. If just taking the filter out it can be painful because you have to be careful not to bend the steel line. 

You should be able to tell if that turbo is on its way out. When you shut the car off you'll hear the turbo spinning down. It should be quiet like the sound of a fresh skateboard wheel spinning or rollerblade wheel ( @.Stripes. ) if you hear any grinding or it's a very loud bearing noise it's probably not real healthy. It's hard to explain but you'll know when you hear it if it's shagged it won't sound right. 

Mother way is to get the intake pipe off and stick your hand in there while the car is off and see how much shaft play there is. 1mm either way is no more than 2 or 3mm. If it can contact the housing it's rooted. 

Evildaifu summed up most of the issues. 

If most of the suspension has been fixed along the way that's a bonus. It's gets expensive if you have to replace things.

Points of interest are wheel bearings, upper and lower ball joints and control arm bushes in the front. 

In the back you'll be able to tell by driving if the bushes are no good. It'll bang about and float all over the road. If it feels tight and happy on the road they're more than likely ok. 

Have you got got a link to the sale ad? 

Cant think of much else right now. 

Keep us posted how you go :spoton:

Thanks guys...

it  didn't go as planned lol

it seemed to drive nice but had too many bad points for me to go near it.

1. It had a quite bad vibration when  idling but when you accelerate it goes away...

2. Had the typical BA Brake shudder but reasonable bad.

3. Turbo has apparently been replaced but no receipts could be shown for the work. There was also a dark stain on the exhaust I seen looked as if oil had been wiped off (could just be a spill but not sure)

I loved the way it drove but the vibrations worrys me..

he has come down in price.. He is now asking $7200 roadworthy and reg till October but he said the vibration won't be fixed... 

Im going to give this one a miss I think..

dont think I can afford a decent xr6 turbo just yet lol my budget it 7500 at the very most so I think I'll keep saving my pennies for now lol 

Edited by Tubz91

• Member For: 7y 10m 10d

That's disheartening. 

Post up the ads you're looking at and we'll pass judgement on them for you. 

I paid $6k for my bf1 zf6. 

BA's aren't that valuable these days unless they're mint and have mods. 

$7500 should net you something very tidy. 

Where are you located? I could shortlist a few cars for you.

• Like 1