• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 17d

Vibration at idle may be the engine mounts.  I used to own a BA T 2004 and had to replace the engine mounts for brand new OEM ones as the previous one on one side (don't remember which side) had perished so got other side done as well whilst I was at it.  Made a huge difference :thumbsup:

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

change your avatar pic, Gary :stirthepot:

The drivers side one usually dies from the heat of the turbo, which then the engine flexes too far when putting load on it and it wrecks the passenger side. Replacing both is the only fix for that, like you had applied.

• Member For: 7y 11m 4d

Ok I've found 4 that could be worth looking at. These are thebtidiest I could find in Vic under $7k the rest were farked. I dunno what it is with prices but I could sell my dunger down there for $20k 

1. Tidy looking. Near standard

bad points it's a 5 speed. If you're going to chase power this will be the week link http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1135931054?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

2. Again tidy? Both have leather. Some consumables replaced. Oil feed line done. 

Again big power will be an issue cause plasticine rods. 

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1135006635?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

3. Completely stock. That's the pros. Cons completely stock

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1134709135?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

4. Tidiest of the lot. Has xcal tuner in pics and aftermarket cooler and exhaust so could be tuned. 

Cons it could be email tuned. Not good. 

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1126024845?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

hope those links worked or keefy is going to smash me.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 17d

Just saw this gem on Whirlpool oracle of all that is knowledgeable on the interwebs ...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2417668

so you trust this mechanic to give you the 100% assurance you seek? really? what conditions does the mechanic place on his inspection? my guess NONE, how the elle can he inspect every nut/bolt, hose/clamp, engine/transmission internals? how?

get this into your head,

it's a 2nd hand car, not even the worlds best mechanic can stand by his report 100% especially on a car he has NEVER SEEN before, you want him to give you a guarantee from an inspection that may take 1 or 2 hours?

how can any mechanic (without pulling the engine apart or removing timing covers / valve covers) give you the AOK you seek?

test drive it, do a few lock to lock U-Turns (checking for CV clacker -whatever- sounds), listen to auto change. feel it, does it sound ok/normal? brakes ok? even stopping? any strange noises? while hold constant acceleration, back off, then press again, any noises, clunks? hesitations?

c'mon, it aint the first car you've driven, take a friend and ask him/her to observe the drive, check the Temp gauge after a decent test-drive, 15mins minimum. keep engine running, lift the bonnet, listen again, smooth? any bad smells?, any excessive heat? get on your knees, any leaks?

get friend to slowly press the accelerator to 3,000RPM and hold and I mean press it slowly, gradually to 3K and HOLD while YOU look at the exhaust pipe for any light blue smoke. IT WILL NOT be screaming at this point while you check for 15 or so seconds.

end of the day, you have 3 months warranty.

if you really wanna bust their balls (and you sound like a b-breaker anyway), after taking ownership of the car, get a RWC check done a day or two BEFORE 28 days, any items that appear MUST be fixed by the garage that issued the original RWC - or they can loose their licence.

I'm glad I'm not in the motor trade anymore, too many wood duck/ghosts and b-breakers!

yeah yeah flame me all you want, but take my advice above and all should be ok when buying a used car, go back to the dealer with a problem and start making demands, no problem, your car will be parked along the back wall and will be attended to after a few days!!

and in closing, if you find the car of your dreams and you are keen to buy it, then do a VSSR check ($4) BEFORE wasting you time and money driving/inspecting it. there are many repairable write-offs on the roads on in the yards.

I'm on the look out for tidy BMW X5 - gonna sell the Volvo XC90 to sis for her growing brood ...

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

8 months late, Gary... he's probably got a car by now ;) haha

good post, anyway :spoton:

also  vvvvvvvvvvv

On 2/9/2017 at 10:46 PM, k31th said:

change your avatar pic, Gary :stirthepot: