Head Unit Upgrade

Joshxrsix

• Member For: 7y 2m 2d

Hey guys, looking to upgrade my fg mk1 xr6 ute's head unit cause the stock one looks crap, and heard a guy in dandenong would do it for $1500 and I can choose any models ICC. Was looking at getting the fg x's cause of sync 2 ect, but heard sound quality is crap, anyone know what's the best way to go to get good sound quality and colour screen?

By good sound quality I mean clear not loud, looked at even the fg mk1 g6e turbo screen, but can't tell what's best

Also, anyone done ot themselves? Or is it too risky woth no mechanical / electrical experience besides speaker wiring.. 

Thanks

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

there just all round cheap sound, cheap speakers etc. there just falcons theres no quality sound components in the iccs lol.

upgrading the icc from the monochrome doesnt improve the sound. the FGmkII/fgx larger iccs do work in mkIs but I dont think 100% of the functions work. 1500 bux to swap a icc is a massive rip. the units are like 500 bux from a wreckers and 50 bux for ford to enable it. easy as piss to swap over.

whos the guy in dandy? 

falcons having a fixed built in head unit makes it hard to upgrade. most guys go to the pros and get a good single din head unit installed in the tissue box holder area, new speakers etc, amp under seat, and sound deadening in the doors etc to do it properly.  

• Like 1

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d

^Not actually that simple, Trent. It costs that much because of the guy who actually programs the MK2 units for full functionality in MK1's. Personally, if it were me, I'd just add in a separate head unit...the sound quality of the Ford is horrendous in comparison. At the time of owning mine I didn't think it was too bad, but after having gone to an aftermarket Alpine unit again since it's chalk and cheese. You can get a pretty sweet aftermarket head unit for $1,500...and retain steering wheel controls etc. Can add reversing cameras too. Not to mention headunits with android auto or apple car are pretty rad!

Edited by .Stripes.
  • Like 1

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members

theres nothing to program, its a patch loom swap it over, unlock it to work at ford. theres not much too it. ive done it. a few things dont work not worth it. 

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members

not worth it imo

read mr fpvs reply

Hi Everbody that loves FG's !

Yes ....I can now convert you basic fg mk1 or colour screen mk1 to the newest mk11 8" colour touchscreen unit and nearly everything ( approx 95% functions ) works as it should.

Major benefits of the upgrade are full Bluetooth connectivity for you phone calls with all your contacts uploaded to the screen itself, showing contacts, recent calls etc. plus phone keypad on screen. All you music can now play via Bluetooth with song names displayed on screen. That means no need for the previous aux port or iPod module anymore.

This colour touchscreen unit is full of many many added functions your current one does not currently have such as awesome start up ford logo, day/ night settings with change of button colours from orange to light blue, then music audio settings such as Pop, rock, vocal, classic etc etc. Various lock / unlock and alarm settings and so on......

All your major existing buttons such as fan speed controls, traction control, lock, unlock, interior lights, rear demister, air conditioner, reverse sensors. etc etc functions as normal.

If you car has a reverse camera, I can screen activate this as well and the FPV logo on start up as an optional extra at an added cost.

Main feature is that no error or warning light shows up on you dash cluster with this conversion .

The items that still require a breakthrough is that the HIM module control ( heater box controls ) is limited to your cooling working only on low temperature with air con on without full temperature variable to hot. So what you get is cold( air cond on ) on LOW, cool outside air with air con off, hot is anything above low, or off. So you still have 4 actual temperature settings, just not variable between cold and hot. Do not confuse this with fan speed, this all works fine, and you still have low to high with all speed in between.

But this can function can be corrected to work if you also change over to a mk11 H.I.M module to obtain full variable temperature to fix that issue. But the change over will add 30 degrees to the actual displayed outside temperate on screen. Without this change the outside temperature will display correctly on screen with the original him module. Those that are not fussed with this added option need not worry about this part. By the way this mk11 HIM module can be added at any time later and it does not affect the initial conversion.

A couple of other minor issues are occasionally to activate the screen to light up it requires you to cover the dash sun load sensor for a few seconds with your light settings on auto. Then after it usually works fine when you turn ignition off/ on and screen lights up fine. The other is just a very minor one, the tapping of screen remains without sound, but strangely does beep when locking in radio stations settings on screen. These I am still working on and could still possibly be rectified in the near future.

An added option (not yet made ) with additional loom, you can add the mk11 USB module,
But most do not require this as all you music can play directly of you phone via Bluetooth settings

But as I said in the beginning to get about 95% of all function working it is an awesome breakthrough, and there is no cutting or joining of any wiring to your existing settings. So this means you simply unplug my new added patch loom and can fit your existing icc back in before you sell you car if you want to.

I have all my mk11 icc's with prices listed on eBay with my username mr.fpv. The loom patch I have created will only be sold as a package ( I will not sell them separately, so please don't ask for the loom itself ) for you to install or I can do at my Glendenning workshop.

I think I have given you quite an extensive description in detail on this conversion, but please feel free to email with any of your unanswered questions.

Kind regards,

• Like 1

• All stock bar the k&n panel filter
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 15d

I thought I'd read that he'd got the 30° difference in displayed temp sorted with the upgraded HIM module at some point?

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members

last time I read the temp was wrong

unless he sorted it since. havent checked back there for any updates.

but in response to your question the swap is easy, but sorry yes expensive to pay him to do all the other fluffing around to make it work to a point.