2003 ford ba xr6 ,turbo issues

nos_pwrd

• Member For: 7y 2m 6d

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and am trying to get some opinions in my current situation.

I Have a 2003 ford xr6 turbo and a couple of nights ago I was driving home and I heard a loud crunch then all of a sudden the turbo is just making a loud scraping sound.
I drove it back home whilst trying to accelerate as little as possible.
started the car up the next morning and even on idle now it makes a very loud scraping sound so I am pretty sure its cactus...

I have been told these models are known for getting clogged oil lines which leads to the turbo  stuffing out. 
Called a few places today and I am getting mixed prices and a bit unsure what I should do. 

Some say its cheaper to rebuild the turbo if its not beyond repair, some advise go for a new one, I am getting prices of anywhere from $1650 to just repair to $2250 to repair and install, without knowing if any other complications could arise...
and the cheapest quote I got was $3000 drive in drive out with a new turbo equivalent to what it already has ( which is just stock standard)

I guess the bottom line is, are these prices fair? which way should I go? or want to know if anyone else has experienced this before and what they did etc..
I live in ringwood in melbourne so I am close to a fair amount of places, just cant seem to find the right way to go, and no one seems to want to install your own turbo (if I were to get one) for warranty issues... Thanks 

Edited by nos_pwrd

• Member For: 7y 10m 10d

Welcome :spoton:

From your description that turbo is totally farked! 

You have a few options from here. 

1.Wreckers for a second hand turbo. If you do this make sure it's from a B series as the FG onwards ran a smaller exhaust wheel and it won't run quite right without a retune. 

2. New. You've priced them. That's fairly ballpark. If you're not planning on modding it stick with the GT3582 and love life. 

3. Go bigger and better. GTX3582 or go the gtx3576 for better response but you'll need to tune with both of these. Plus the supporting mods etc etc. 

As for fitting it isn't hard. It's time consuming but if you're good with the spanners you'll be ok. 

Most importantly. Take the filter out of your oil feed line or better yet go aftermarket line and keep it away from the exhaust manifold.

Also forgot to mention that you'll want a completely new gaskets for the manifold and turbo to manifold plus all new studs and washers. Don't reuse the stock sh*t unless you like tightening things or exhaust leaks.

• Like 2

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 6d
14 hours ago, ROB83R said:

Welcome :spoton:

From your description that turbo is totally farked! 

You have a few options from here. 

1.Wreckers for a second hand turbo. If you do this make sure it's from a B series as the FG onwards ran a smaller exhaust wheel and it won't run quite right without a retune. 

Exhaust wheel is the same size between gt3576 and gt3582.

2. New. You've priced them. That's fairly ballpark. If you're not planning on modding it stick with the GT3582 and love life. 

If the car is stock look at a swap in CHRA from one of the more reputable aftermarket brands like Mamba or Kingugawa

3. Go bigger and better. GTX3582 or go the gtx3576 for better response but you'll need to tune with both of these. Plus the supporting mods etc etc. 

Unlikely you'll get better response fron a GTX3582r on a car without other mods.

As for fitting it isn't hard. It's time consuming but if you're good with the spanners you'll be ok. 

Most importantly. Take the filter out of your oil feed line or better yet go aftermarket line and keep it away from the exhaust manifold.

Also forgot to mention that you'll want a completely new gaskets for the manifold and turbo to manifold plus all new studs and washers. Don't reuse the stock sh*t unless you like tightening things or exhaust leaks.

• Like 2

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d

The scraping sound you here is the housings getting scored. More  than likely both will be unserviceable.  Maybe fit a recon or new stock turbo.   If you fit the same one.  A tune won't be required.  

As stated above. Make sure  you take out the turbo filter at a minimum.  Possibly fit a turbo inline filter kit

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-BA-BF-TURBO-STEALTH-OIL-LINE-FILTER-KIT-EARLS-AEROFLOW-XR6-FPV-F-FALCON-G6-/172236333483?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150519202357%26meid%3Dc2fd5f6620144443a90b054cf40a40b7%26pid%3D100408%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D21%26sd%3D182064967686&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

Edited by arronm

• Member For: 7y 10m 10d

Thanks Luke. Learn something everyday. 

I'm pretty sure like Arron said there's scoring going on inside the housing. So wouldn't that make a cartridge swap out of the question?

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d
29 minutes ago, ROB83R said:

Thanks Luke. Learn something everyday. 

I'm pretty sure like Arron said there's scoring going on inside the housing. So wouldn't that make a cartridge swap out of the question?

More than likely.  A slightly damaged compressor housing will really reduce the performance.  A slightly damaged turbine housing will just make the boost laggy. 

Being a BA it is highly likely the turbine housing will have cracking at some of the bolt holes and maybe at the waste gate port.