BF 2006 F6 typhoon IGNITION ISSUES

Piers41

• Member For: 7y 3m 8d

Hi everyone, 

Im totally stumped as to why my car wont start, All I get is single click or two when pressing the starter button. This began a week ago, when my battery went flat, I replaced the battery and then 2days ago it shutdown while I was driving which I think is related to the alternator but now with a freshly charged battery I get nothing, the dash lights up as per normal with no odd warning lights but I dont get any ignition just a click click, please any suggestions, I dont think im hearing the fuel pump prime either

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Sounds like a stuffed alternator. Re-charge the battery separately to the car and then if it starts straight away then your alternator is just not charging the battery enough.

• Like 1

• Member For: 7y 3m 8d

I tried this but im still getting nothing, ive even had a jumper pack on the fresh battery, it seems like the smartlock has isolated things but the the red warning hand isnt flashing, I also left tge key in the on b position for 30 mins to see if that fuxed it but still just a click inside the cabin, could the fuel isolation system have tripped

Edited by Piers41

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

If you're getting that "click click" then it's not the immobiliser. Time for an auto-elec if the car isn't starting with a full battery and is only clicking the starter motor (symptom of low battery cold cranking amps)

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

Yes, of course I mean the relay for the starter motor circuit which clicks on low battery (as it doesn't have enough power to push the starter motor).

• Like 1

• Member For: 7y 10m 9d

New battery then goes flat. Your alternator is shagged and it has killed that new battery. You need a new battery and alternator. 

Try with a fresh battery. If it starts you definitely need to source an alternator. 

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Check the connection at the alternator.   Put a voltmeter on the battery while car is running.  Should be greater than 13.5

Try checking the voltage across the battery while starting. 

• Like 1

• Member For: 7y 10m 9d
42 minutes ago, Piers41 said:

I just want it start to drive to get my alternator replaced, I had the battery on a ctek trickle charger it seemed to think the battery was ok and charged it up

If the alternator wasn't charging properly and you flattened the battery that trickle charger won't fix that battery. It might say it's got good voltage but the amps won't be there to turn the motor. 

• Like 1