XR6T dropping a cylinder at idle when hot

rollex

• Member For: 9y 10m 12d

ECU finally threw a DTC saying misfire on cylinder 6 which is promising as that coilpack would be the one that gets the hottest.

My battery terminals are also loose and can't be tightened anymore so that will be the next thing to look at if it doesn't.

Ok new coils made the idle smoother but it still drops cylinder six for about a minute then comes perfect again, seems random but more common when hot. 

I'm guessing an electrical problem somewhere as if it was a head gasket or something the plug would look average (it didnt) and it would always be rough. 

Where would you look next? Loom looks good but could have an issue somewhere. I'll try giving the connectors a scrub and clean. 

Edited by rollex

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 22d

id be whipping out a multimeter and testing resistance of certain wires, like the battery negative etc. after going around and cleaning battery terminals/connections etc.

just note when using a multimeter that if you put the probes on to test a wire it only tests from the tip of each probe so make sure it has a good connection else you'll think everything has gone to crap lol.

Edited by skidxr6t

• 1 month later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 9m 7d

Any updates on this? Having a very similar issue at the moment but am pretty sure it's just a voltage issue. Car will sit there for for 8 days while I'm out at work and when I get back my x4 says the system voltage is 11.8V. Start the car up and it sounds like a lumpy v8 for a minute and then comes good.

Nope. 

Can't narrow it down. About to try another ecu with my tune flashed in to see if it's an ECU issue. 

Pretty much ready to crush the car as the clutch issue is unresolved as well after dropping the box and bench testing everything.