Clip on wheel weights causing squeak noise!

discostig

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Posting a separate thread to help anyone else that tries googling this or searching here.

TLDR:

My wheel is making a metallic squeaking noise each rotation, it's definitely not the bearings or brakes or ball joints.  It was the wheel weights!

Long version

So the new wheels went on and all was well for about a week, then this started happening

I went a bit crazy chasing it, I thought I had a dead wheel bearing at first and wasted time checking it - I do have bearings on the way out in the rear as I happened to find, but eventually I found that moving the wheel between the front and back also moved the sound, so it had to be specific to the wheel or tyre in question.  I started to fear a cracked rim.  The set were only a grand, but a new replacement would be about $900 retail.......not gonna happen.  I had plastic hub centric rings installed and changed to metal ones once they arrived (ordered before the noise started) but they didn't fix it either.

It's been very embarrassing rolling around in car parks and stopping at lights with this going on...just what you don't want when you're rocking new rims!  Really killed the enjoyment.

Tonight I got the missus to drive it back and forth with me walking along and listening, then spraying water at the wheel, which quietened it!  Went for a drive in a 100 zone nearby and it returned, but I figured I could pinpoint the noise with this technique...the sun went down but it was a nice night so I busted out the LED work lights after dinner and started trying to "surgically" spray different parts of the rim.  Centre, nuts, outer lip...but now it kept squeaking.

Removed the metal hub centric rings and changed to brand new wheel nuts (handy to have spares) and still squeaking...

I was looking for hairline cracks in the rim when I looked at the clip on wheel weight.  I'd previously tried removing the stick on weights on the inner dish but had missed this one.  Even looking at it closely I could see dust was missing at the edge.  Upon prying it off I saw this:

sZBWbJ7.jpg

Look at that mark against the rim!  I'm getting excited at this point but trying not to count my chickens before they hatch.

Inspecting the 15g weight I see the inside edge is verrrrrrry shiny - unlike the rest of it.

rdJbDZd.jpg

I stuck the hub centric ring and original wheel nuts back in and decided I was going to back myself and torqued up the wheel nuts to spec for the test drive instead of just guessing with the breaker bar for the short test drives I'd been going on up and down the driveway.

Rolled out and...nothing

ZnGJj65.jpg?1

I'll definitely need to get them rebalanced but a quick test drive at speeds up to 100kmh showed no perceptible change in feeling which was the icing on the cake.

Edited by -Stever-

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 6d

Can I post the screen shots of the several hundred msg Whatsapp convo's trying to work out what this was and the tremendous amount of shitpost suggestions that where included?

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

whatsapp doesn't seem like the best place to get a technical question answered; but each to their own, I guess :idunno:

definitely post the sh*tposts, though, as they'd normally end up here anyway :P

• Donating Members

Ah well that depends on who is in the group...

If I'm in it, I'll tell you where the noise is coming from very rapidly

Since you seem to have missed the pics earlier, here they are again hahaha.  Make sure imgur isn't blocked where you are...

sZBWbJ7.jpg

rdJbDZd.jpg

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d

okay, hold on for a sec. Rewind.....

I have no issues viewing the pics. Imgur not blocked.

Those are snap on weights for the inside of the rims right..... ?

The clip to the inside/lips of the rim.

If the weight is rubbing on the rim, then something must be pushing the damn weight on the other side.......

I have to be missing something here. do you have a pic of when it was installed?

• Donating Members

Logical suggestion I've had is rubber tyre is squishy and was pressing against it as it rotated.  Noise happened as wheel turned to the same spot each time so I'd agree!

I was sure the wheels were deforming hahaha

• Like 1