BA xr6t track day

ERICtheBERIC

• Member For: 9y 6m 24d

So I recently did my second track day at collie motorplex (WA) and the brakes are definitely the limiting factor when it comes to lap times imo. My fastest lap of the day was the very first one out which I think goes to show that they deteriorate shortly after heavy use, unless ofcourse I just get worse as the day goes on but I dont think so. After only about 3-4 laps they really start to lose effectiveness and there is a shuddering feel to them, but not through the steering wheel, and once I come in theres usually a fair amount of smoke coming off them. Im running 322mm dba T3 rotors with bendix ultimate pads on the front with PBR calipers and stock rears and ive taken the abs fuse out. 

After I came home and pulled the brakes apart I realised the right hand side front rotor had been skimming its outer edge on the caliper, and acually made pretty pretty heavy contact:
eGBlMBm.jpg?1

P5VGZrr.jpg?1

I figure this may be due to the fact that they are std BA calipers on a larger than normal rotor (even through it wasnt making contact when initially installed) so I dug out some some FG calipers I bought ages ago but I couldnt use as they are completely seized and noticed that the pistons have different size recesses in them: (FG ones on the left and BA on the right)

ElzQyv0.jpg?1

Not knowing much about the design of them but it seems like more contact area would be the way to go, I ordered new pistons and a seal kit off ebay all up for about 80$ for the FG calipers I think ill just rebuild them and hopefully they wont rub on the rotor.

I guess my question is what can I do to improve the braking longevity without going all out and buying 4 pot bembos or something, as I cant really afford it at the moment, and still love to track it every now and again. Am I able to run larger rotors on the rear with a different caliper mounting bracket like I did in the front? and does anyone know what the largest size front rotor that can be run with the PBR caliper? Ive also seen that some of the FPV brake kits come with PBR rears which I cant tell if they are different from the std ones I have, as info about PBR products is apparently pretty hard to come by. Or maybe I just need better pads? I should also mention im running high temp racing brake fuid. Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated

and just if anyones interested heres some front wheel action of the track. I did a best of 58.44 which was a .44 improvement over last time

and this is what the car looks like (just wanna show off the pretty picture I took :P)

PIZv8Mn.jpg?1

Edited by ERICtheBERIC
  • Like 1

• Member For: 7y 10m 9d

Says you can't mix silicone based fluid with dot3 4 or 5.1. How would you go about getting all the non silicone based fluid out?

Are our systems in the b series compatible with dot5? 

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m

I like to get a straw and suck the fluid out of the reservoir into your mouth then it's optional if you wana spit it out or not. 

then flush some new fluid through till the new fluid comes through the lines.