Standard F6 270 Air Box vs Cone Filter?

Dominus

• Member For: 7y 6m 6d

Hey guys, 

As you can see in the image below, I have the piping upgraded, but still running the standard air box. I'm just wondering how restrictive the standard air box is? Would a less restrictive cone filter be of any benefit, or would I just be making more noise whilst sucking in hot air from the engine bay? How big should the filter be if I decide to give it a try? Any advice appreciated!

Phoon%20%201_zpszwxzdyg7.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

Will provide no benefit at all. Stick with the stock airbox unless you're relocating the battery to go a turbo side intake (or purchasing an under battery intake).

Thanks Keith, and Ralph. Any reason why a turbo side intake would be more beneficial? Excuse my ignorance.

Ralph, do you mean the larger piping is costing me performance? 

I wasn't expecting much benefit to the pod filter, but I do want a little more induction sound. I can only lightly hear the turbo in the higher rev ranges when it starts to work pretty hard.

Edited by Dominus

• Member For: 8y 11m 22d

It's more about having the shortest pipe work. The longer the charged air from the intercooler has to travel to the throttle body= power loss. Or loss of benefits from having an efficent intercooler. Same scenerio with having a turbo side intake, the air intake is less than 400 mm with a battery relocation kit. A little  bit longer with the under battery set up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation Box Stock. I Thought the thicker pipe work would have allowed for higher airflow negating the elongated piping, or at least to a certain extent. I can definitely see the benefits of having it way shorter though.    

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Length has a much lesser effect on airflow than girth does, and is different when going in vs coming out, kinda like bangin a broad.

While it is true that you want the shortest route possible, it is more important to choose the right diameter for your application.

While there is a formula available to choose the right size pipe, I haven't thought about it in years and cbf googling right now.

Something something airspeed something something between mach 0.3 and mach 0.4 or too much drag or something.

To roughly summarize you want 2.5 inch pipes as short as possible for the majority of xr6 applications.

Thanks for the response Puff

I haven't measured the piping yet, but I think just by looking at it, it will be roughly 3-3.5 inch from the intercooler, as well as from the turbo. At the end of the day, this car has had a lot of $ spent on it and I dont think I'll be changing too much, but as I said I do want a little more turbo chatter from it. What would be the best way to achieve this?

@Box Lol! its all about the girth mate. You can throw a sausage down a hallway, but if it doesnt touch the sides then its not good for anything, no matter how long it is!:nyaah:

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

If you want lots of choochoo then you can block your recirc valve. I'm not keen on hacking up airboxes despite the power or noise gains.

17 minutes ago, Box stock T. said:

Hmmm length over girth.....

An age old problem for us fella's :wwww:

Not so much a problem for me but for the person on the receiving end..... :ARFiring: