Mexican Invasion '17. Vic/SA cruise 24-27 March 2017 **UPDATED**

Rab

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Hey guys,

Post updated to lock in Adelaide accommodation

Friday 

Travelling from our various locations to the Belair Caravan Park where we'll be staying during our 2 nights in Adelaide.

I spoke to Tonya this morning and she was more than happy to have us there and says she's able to put us all in cabins close to each other. Rates are very reasonable, facilities seem fantastic and there are plenty of options to choose from (even tent sites if you want to save money)

Bookings can be made online, but I'd recommend calling them (08) 8278 3540 and letting them know you're with the group with ANDREW CARRUTHERS so they can fit us all in close proximity to each other.

I plan on arriving between 5 and 6pm and will be putting on a BBQ for anyone interested. I'll be bringing enough meat, snags, salad, bread, plates, cutlery etc so feel free to partake - just let me know if you're up for it or not so I can work out how much to bring.

Hopefully this will be a great time to introduce ourselves, have some decent chit-chat and relax before we hit the hills the next day.

Firepits are available, but only during winter. They're happy to check the fire danger at the time and let us put one on if conditions allow.

Saturday 

Entire day exploring the Adelaide hills, visit the motor museum, Chocolate Factory (afternoon tea), a couple of "Photo Op" (to make sure Evil doesn't boot me) places, a couple of dams, a Brewery (lunch), see some great roads, some other hidden gems Puff has in mind and hopefully get to spend some time with some SA forum members.

Dinner Saturday at the best Mexican Restaurant I've found (I try to get to Adelaide every year or so just to get a meal here). If they let me down and the meal isn't up to the usual standards I'll be considering the whole cruise an abject failure. TBA

As the Mexicans have decided to have an extended siesta instead of reopening their restaurant:

siesta.jpg 

Dinner Saturday will be at the German Arms Hotel in Hahndorf - right there in the hills we'll have been exploring all day.

Back to the campsite after dinner to hopefully share some more stories around a firepit before retiring for the night.

Sunday

Limestone Coast, through Robe, Mt Gambier and spend the night in Warrnambool.

Routes, activities and accommodation still to be finalised. I do have a few different routes and stops in mind and will probably discuss it Friday and Saturday night to gauge interest in the various options.

Monday

Back to Melbourne via the Great Ocean Road (I shouldn't need to say any more on that leg :) )

It will mean a couple of days off work for most people - Fri/Mon for Vics, Mon/Tues for SA if some (hopefully) join us for the GOR leg and probably Thurs, Fri, Mon, Tues if any NSW guys wanted to join in for the full trip and respective days for any others coming from different directions.

RULES:
1. Obey all laws whilst on the cruise; this means no speeding, no overtaking over double lines (no matter how safe you think it may be), etc...

2. There is a designated cruise leader who will lead the way and set the correct pace for all cruise members.

3. Use the Buddy system - always make sure you can see the car behind you. This will give people behind you an indication on where to turn to make sure nobody gets lost.

4. CB Radios - if you don't have one, follow the maps and directions given out. It is highly recommended to have CB as it enhances the enjoyment of the cruise being able to hear about road hazards and join in on the social chatter.

5. Please turn up to the meeting points with a sufficient fuel in your tank and enough time before the departure time.

6. Onus is on the owner/driver to ensure their vehicle is safe to drive on public roads and meets State road traffic authority laws.

7. Please ensure you have a contingency plan if you have a breakdown or unnecessarily delayed. e.g. Roadside Assistance or a mate in another car who is willing to stay with you if necessary.

8. This cruise is not to be advertised on any other media or websites or social media sites without prior agreement from the cruise organisers.

9. By attending this cruise you agree not to hold FordXR6Turbo.com, it's Administrators, Moderators, Cruise Controllers, or Owner responsible / liable for any damage and / or grief sustained (simply; you are responsible for your own actions).

CRUISE LIST: (The darker the name the more confirmed they are to be coming)
1. Rab VIC
2. EvilDaifu VIC

3. Box stock T. SA
4. Puffwagon SA

5. k31th VIC

6. MBAF Western Front

7. BAXRTUTE NSW

8. MattyP, NSW

• Like 5

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Yeah, I'd heard that about that joint.

It's closed for renovations, moving and a grand re-opening at the moment, thus the delay til March for the cruise ;)

edit: link fixed

Edited by Rab
link fixed

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Bloke with 30 years plus of Adelaide hills  road history here. 

I've driven them all but not lately. 

Between us sa blokes, I'm sure we could make a few nice stops. 

Maybe it could be lined up with air drag days next year. 

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
1 minute ago, Puffwagon said:

Maybe it could be lined up with air drag days next year. 

Could be a bit of fun :)

I don't think they have dates up yet?

(Adelaide International Raceway for anyone wondering)

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Love the idea. Haven't driven past Apollo Bay on the GOR so would love to do it backwards and haven't ever driven in SA myself. Let's farkin' do it!

• Like 3

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

It's happening - only variable is how many come with me or meet me over there ;)

6 minutes ago, k31th said:

Love the idea.

All you need to do now is work out which car to take :P

• Like 2

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

I haven't seen the dates yet but I expect they'll be up soon. 

Regardless, sa has a lot to offer and we can make a fun few days of cruising windy and remote roads.

It's been so long since I went cruising the hills for the sake of cruising. 

• Like 1