Short Shifter - Yay or Nay?

Dominus

• Member For: 7y 6m 6d

Hey guys,

Im after some opinions on short shifters. I have one installed on my '06 BF Typhoon (already installed when car was purchased), and Im not sure how much I like it. Unfortunately, I've never owned or driven another Falcon without one, so Im not really sure how its supposed to feel.

My issue is that sometimes gear changes can be tough, like if Im downshifting from 3rd to 2nd it needs a bit of force at times. I've had the same issue going from 4th to 5th etc. The entire box also just feels very stiff - if Im in neutral it requires a bit of muscle to just wiggle the stick from side to side. This is the first short shifter I've had on a car, so I dont even know if its supposed to be like this. For the most part gear changes are fine, and I've gotten used to the feel of the shifter, but at times it just didnt want to work with me.

Should I check trans fluid before attempting to remove the SS?    

• 2 months later...
  • To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d

I know, I know, coming late to the party but still I think it is a worthy :mole:

I drove my manual around for a while before I got any mods done.

The TR6060 is a bit stiff, but that is how it is. I am use to it now.

The short sifter that I got installed during the first round of mods was the aeroflow one.

This shortens the throw between the gears, well that is my understanding and shouldn't affect how the gears are changed.

If you are still on here @Dominus, I would suggest finding another xr6t manual and going for a drive.

Where are you located?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 7y 6m 6d

After 4 months of owning the car everything has loosened up a bit and the gearbox has adjusted to the way I shift. The car was only driven 3k kms in like 3 years, so I guess it just needed some daily driving to get her to loosen up. Somewhat like a woman huh :nyaah:

• Like 1

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d

That is good news and welcome back to the forum. Hopefully we see you more often. Have a read of my thread about the gear knob replacement, so that you know what you will be up against, when the leather deteriates from wear and tear.

;)

• Like 1