An Unfortunate Tale - Clutch Issues

Dominus

• Member For: 7y 11m
2 hours ago, JETURBO said:

If there was any prior indication there would be oil drops on the floor where you park it,But as Rob has mentioned a vehicle that's rarely driven to regularly driven will develop issues what seems quickly 

it just is what is is buddy 

$900 is bloody up there take it to automasters and pay half that but be super aware that if the CSC has been leaking there's a massive chance it's contaminated the clutch plates and then the whole clutch is bin fodder, so brace yourself for a full clutch kit ( $2000 ) give or take just for parts 

also note there's a slave cylinder on the clutch pedal itself in the cabin and can and do leak so make sure it's not leaking there first as that will be a cheaper fix !

Could he get away with a new friction plate and a skim on the flywheel? 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

I just typed "bf turbo clutch kit" into ebay. 

I wonder where the $2000 figure came from? 

Edit: Considering ford wanted over $500 for a genuine plastic transmission pan I guess the figure originates there somewhere. 

Edited by Puffwagon

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 22d

8 hours ago, Dominus said:

I just know that I cant help but feel done in, and that I dont even know if I can trust anything on the car now - are the low km's even real? (72k), what else is going to go wrong etc...

aww you poor thing. can see why you needed a rant. If the car has logbooks and the rego plate hasn't been changed lately, I'd feel confident the KM's are correct.

Have you had all fluids changed yet? I would recommend this. Sounds like you have the know how to do it yourself sometime, maybe get a shop to do brake fluid if you're lazy though.

• Member For: 7y 8m 25d

I barely drive mine and I've had it 8 years and only put 25,000km's on it. The CSC went on mine also (not driven enough) and due to the reasons stated by the other members above. Seems it could be almost common. I was fortunate enough that I planned to mod mine and leveraged on this fault and replaced it with a NPC 550kw setup and CSC.

I did have the same symptoms and noticed it was using a fair bit of fluid. At one stage it was tricky putting the car into gear and the clutch engage point was low to the floor.

I checked the fluid saw it was low and added more clutch fluid and gear change was easier. Thought to myself *derp check your clutch fluid ya knob* but It took a gearbox oil flush and closer inspection to realise that it was leaking.

So the owner may have known there was not something quite right but wasn't exactly sure what the issue was. Now its being driven more the issue may have been amplified and caused the failure

• Member For: 7y 6m 28d

Thanks for all the helpful answers fella's! Quick update.

Made a few calls this morning and cheapest quote I could get was $700, with Monday being the earliest they could help me out. With no other immediate option I went to Bridgestone, who were happy to get going at it right away. Paid $850, and the job was done by 12.30ish. Im still not happy with the price, but I think mechanics might generally be more expensive in the GC Brissy area (?), and I was willing to take the $150 hit over the best quote I could get this morning, in order to get it done today.

The good news is that the rest of the clutch is fine and still in good nick! The leak was small and hadnt contaminated the clutch plates. The car now feels better than ever. The clutch was so overly tight when I bought the car last week, and I was too stupid to notice. Love at first sight made me think with something other than my brain I guess lol. 

Considering the seller was the first owner, he definitely knew something was up when at some point the clutch started going overly stiff. He probably got a quote and figured he didnt wannna deal with the issue and passed it on instead (it seems harsh, but I guess you cannot trust someone just because he lives in a nice house and clearly has lots of money). Who knows really, but Im kind of considering contacting him and in a very polite manner explain the situation and ask he fit half of the bill. Hes probably going to tell me to take my story walking, but I have nothing to lose really. 

I'm just glad I can now enjoy this beautiful car again, pockets lighter and all!

@Elusive Its comforting to hear that this issue is more common than I thought, and that Im not the only one who has gone through this. Thanks mate. 

@Skid Haha I was honestly feeling a little sorry for myself last night, cracked a few beers and drowned a few sorrows lol Im definitely going to get the rest of the fluids done myself this weekend! Definitely dont want to risk the same happening to the brakes.

@aaronm Thanks mate, CSC is alloy now. The guy working on it today said he couldnt understand why the clutch was replaced with a heavy duty one and the CSC was left standard. 

Edited by Dominus

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 28d
15 hours ago, Dominus said:

Considering the seller was the first owner, he definitely knew something was up when at some point the clutch started going overly stiff. He probably got a quote and figured he didnt wannna deal with the issue and passed it on instead (it seems harsh, but I guess you cannot trust someone just because he lives in a nice house and clearly has lots of money). Who knows really, but Im kind of considering contacting him and in a very polite manner explain the situation and ask he fit half of the bill. Hes probably going to tell me to take my story walking, but I have nothing to lose really. 

Didn't you state earlier the car had seen very little use for several years?  The CSC is the type of part that can be perfectly happy one day and fail the next. I'm not sure how you could expect someone to know in advance that its was failing.

Chalk it up to buying a used car and not having it inspected by someone who knows what they are looking at and get on with life.

• Like 3