intake upgrtade for FG X xr6T

• Member For: 15y 3m 12d

Hi guys, been a member for a while but time to post. About to get a FG X xr6T and want to do some mild stuff first.

Put simply, stock FG X xr6T looking for an intake (later on I'll do exhaust and tune). My question is being a FG X xr6T, can you use a factory F6 intake (off FG/FG2 say). I know its a previous model but was wondering will it fit still? And is it better than the stock FG X T intake? (short term just want some intake noise, longer term the tune will come). Basically looking for an effective and cheap way of improving intake (now) for later when other things happen (tune and pipes).

The other question is paper based filter vs K&N, ive generally gone paper based in my past -

any help appreciated.

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 24d

Is there any difference in stock intakes for the FG series?

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 17d

Yes stever 

the FG range all have the standard snorkel lower and top half air box ... Except the XR8 has a twin intake snorkel and bigger mouth lower half of the air box so this is a cheap and good performance modification that looks stock :) 

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 24d

Ah I forgot about the XR8 intakes being different

Kind of ironic given that the boosted engines surely suck more air?  Or is that only the case once tuned?

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 17d

Yes the turbo 6 does consume more air if given the chance, it's part of the limiting factor power wise hence why and how you can pick up a bunch of free wasps with just a hole in the air box base untuned 

• Like 1

• Member For: 11y 3m 5d
21 minutes ago, JETURBO said:

Yes the turbo 6 does consume more air if given the chance, it's part of the limiting factor power wise hence why and how you can pick up a bunch of free wasps with just a hole in the air box base untuned 

Which is exactly  what ive done. 4" holesaw does the trick nicely and that's with 311kw atw.im of the opinion that aftermarket intakes (original location) 

make the engine bay look pretty and empty your pocket of a few hundred bucks and that's about it.turbo side would be my only intake mod if I wanted more direct air

Edited by damo6
  • Like 1

• Member For: 11y 3m 5d

Yes,you only need the top half though but very few will sell just those bits. Fg 1yes ,no xr8 fg2,fgx not sure,different rad support. If you are just after more air then do what ive done with the holesaw mod,easy and effective along with a kn filter if you wish

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 22d

this is confusing. On my fg2 I took a herrod off (didn't like the noise from the gtx) &fitted a fg v8 base & snorkel It's substantially  bigger than the stock base . Top appears to be the same .Only thing is if the snorkel will fit FG-x? From memory FG-X appears to be taller?