Peppy can tune?

Peppy_t92

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 15d

How are we all, thought I'd make a thread so people can keep up with what I've been working on as I tend to work on others cars more then my own these days

Some of you know my story from Peppys build thread. But in short, I've grown up around cars, my father had a cylinder head machine shop where I would go to work with him on weekends to watch and help him carry out engine machining and building, cylinder head servicing and porting etc, as I got older I worked part time on a Top fuel dragster completing various roles over a few years.. I had an EB falcon which I rebuilt the motor on, ported the head, installed a mild cam, tuned that with a J3 chip custom tuning software.. once I was old enough to get my full license I bought a BF2 Xr6t, slowly modified and started tuning using the HP tuning software, the cars current PB is 10.44@137 which consists of my own engine combo, ported head, stock intake and exhaust manifolds, stock cams and a gtx35/82.. my own built ZF with Circle d converter and all the necessary supporting mods..

Anyway this thread is about other projects I work on as this has developed into quite the hobby for me and I always encourage people to get in and give it a go yourself, within your capabilities ofcourse.. There's plenty of knowledge around on places like this, but always keep in mind to discuss things with your chosen tuner..

Over the past 4 years I've modified and tuned almost 50 falcons from BA to FGX (Barra, modular and coyote) and 30+ Commodores VT-VF, starting at basic mods and tuning to some pretty exciting out there full builds..

I and many others on here are successfully using the HP Tuners software, let me say that it is far from the limited software that it once was and is continually improving with the input of the very passionate and talented DIY or hobbyist "Tunas" out there. We feed and learn from each other, I have many of them to thank for helping me to understand the software and modify exactly what I need too

I'll try to include include as much info, data and pictures to back everything up, I love feedback and feel free to question or comment and we can talk about the how's or whys things were done certain ways

Bare with me as I dig up old builds and pictures

Thanks guys!

• Like 8

Let's start with a tastefully modified FG F6 From almost 3 years ago,

A family friend came to me with the F6 which he just bought 2nd hand, he said he had just been flogged by an r35 GTR, and in his words "I want to be able to chop those things and not look silly again! I want to keep these street tyres (nitto invo), the car to be quiet and cruise like standard" asking abit much?

He wanted to complete all the works himself so I told him what he needed, he sourced a rapid cooler kit (can't remember which intake we used), PW surge, xspurt 1000's, full Niz exhaust, crow valve springs, I ported and installed a 36mm wastegate flap, (actually it already had a 62mm billet compressor surprisingly, but stock housing), and turbosmart wastegate with 7psi spring...

Keeping to his requests I tuned it as linear as I could, boost ramped up slower then normal, conservative timing and spent a lot of time on the low load points to keep the streetability about it. It was tuned on Caltex flex fuel which was close to his house. This one was entirely tuned on the street so no dyno figures, but from my Injector Duty cycle calculations it was sitting just above the 400rwkw mark, as said, it was conservative.

We took it to the track in complete street form, still had the spare tyre, his sound system and even a full tank of petrol, also retaining the nittos.. it managed 3 consistent low 11's with a best of 11.2@130mph, 1.87 60' just driving it off the line with no stall

https://vimeo.com/184769529

b01bc5d68c767e7c716491a118fb72a8.jpg

He still comes and sees me and oftern calls to tell me about successful runs he has even with much higher powered cars, im proud to say that the STOCK motor, gearbox, tailshaft, diff and cv's are still going strong!

Thanks fellas, I'll post stuff up as I find it on my phone

• Like 3

This ones more recent, early on this year, BA GTP...

the owner also completed all the works himself including building the engine, he lives in Mildura so things are hard to come by, I helped source parts and advise him what was needed.

It has a 1.9l whipper charger ontop a mainforce manifold, water to air cooler setup, 460 intank pump, x-spurt 1000's, full exhaust and a custom water meth setup using the AEM controller

the car had been through other shops but had a consistent idle issue and the water meth was never setup correctly, he made the trip up to me in Sydney to fit the injectors and flash the computer back to stock with my ford diagnostic/flash tool which clears out any bugs that could be present from the use of an incorrect operating system by the previous tuner.. instantly the idle issues were gone

He left it with me for a week to get everything right. I setup the water meth so it could safely be used with the water meth on or off, where timing is added when it's switched on.. almost like 2 different tunes

I tuned it on pump 98 as e85 isn't easily available where he lives, it made 525hp with 14psi tapering to 12psi up top (the blower has high kms) and then managed 606hp with the water meth switch on!! We were stoked, a nice stout power graph pulling all the way to the 6700rpm limiter as we didn't want to over spin the blower..

7cf4139755af73c91914387da0d3e3c3.jpg

3e6bf25eb0948baeab87551ef694b0b9.jpg

c83071264742b1ab772334fb83fe1982.jpg

f3905ffaa4cd3cf64b00c23d53a74f76.jpg

I like the water meth setup, the AEM controller allows you to ramp in the shot, rather then just hitting it straight up, the cars still going strong and has broken 3 driveshafts since the tune haha, one was actually on the street straight after the dyno. supposedly it is much better on fuel when cruising too, I'll have to ask him the figures that he worked out.. but that's a win in my book!

• Like 3

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 25d

Nice work Joe. Tell me the ability to flash a stock cal back into a car with issues isn't the greatest thing since sliced Christmas cake? I do it as a matter of course for any of the problem child cars.

5d4c304ab24fd7c7b07f4652fc6ff6f0.jpg

That's from the GT, I believe 2 snapped in that same spot on the hub side, and once on the diff side

110% ralphy I do it to all cars now, and surprisingly a lot of them have newer software versions available also

Haha Sirena in Italian oil thanks

• Like 2

Hey Demon, it was more of an inconsistent or un-steady idle, sometimes stalling at low load or coasting conditions, not so much a miss, the previous tuner manipulated the throttle body air flow tables significantly, I didn't have to touch them once I restored the PCM to factory, installed the x-spurt 1000's (flow matched) injectors, and coupled them with my data of course

Am I allowed to post Commodores ? I have done a hand full from tune only, cam kits, head and cam packages, super charger setups, turbo setups and even nitrous