Self tuning thoughts?

molch

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 20d

So with my sct x3 stolen and the expense of going a sct x4 I am considering buying the hptuner kit and doing it myself.

It wouldnt be my first time tuning.  I'd  still say I am pretty inexpereinced but willing to dig in and learn as much as possible.

5 or 6 years ago I upgraded my forester xt (turbo, fuel pump, exhaust, boost solenoid etc) and tuned it myself using Romraider and ecutek. Took me a couple of months to get everything perfect but ended up punching out over 200kw at all 4 (nothing compared to a xr6 / g6e I know).

I still have the innovate LC-2 wideband O2 sensor in the garage so I could get this back out and use it again.

So I guess I have an idea of reading the tables, understanding the concepts and researching my butt off but yeah I wanted to see if anyone else on the forum would go back to the original tuner or take the plunge and learn??

• Like 2

• Member For: 7y 11m 1d

I'd love to go down this path also but I've never tuned anything just my Mrs. 

I reckon it it would be safer for the time being to get autotech to tune it then you can go play with it while still having something that works. 

Autotech use hp as well as xcal don't they? 

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 20d
14 minutes ago, ROB83R said:

Autotech use hp as well as xcal don't they? 

They only mentioned the xcal so not too sure if they also do hp .

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 22d

I bought hp tuners and tuned my car with no prior knowledge of hp tuners.

I have tuned several other types of ecu over many years so for me at least it was just a matter of wrapping my head around how the ford pcm works.

If I was in your situation I would buy hp tuners, scale the injectors so it's drive-able then take it to a professional (without boosting it) and get it tuned.

This way you get your car tuned back to it's original power level but you'll have the ability to start making small changes knowing that you can always fall back to your safe tune.

It's pretty easy to break a motor when the power is getting up there though it's a bit harder to break with e85.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 24d

Depends if you want all she has got, safely.  Minimal experience aint going to do that.  I leave it to guys that tune every day. 

• Like 3

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 8m 14d

Get professional advise before you attempt to do DIY in my opinion.  Pay a bit to learn from what the Pros do then you can start tinkering.  It's the same with most things I reckon.  Just need someone to show you how easy it is and obvious pitfalls to avoid first so you don't stuff up big time fumbling around in the dark - like $$$ for new engine big time ...

For me - I'd take it to a tuner everytime because that's why they get paid the big bucks (but that's just me).  I want to spend my time enjoying driving my F6 not worrying why it mis-fires occassionally.