Fg plasaman 800hp copy

Ash Hewson

• Member For: 10y 10m 4d
I keep reading conflicting info on which core type is better than the other. I would love for someone who has been through a few cores and types to go through real world applications as this is why I would buy one. I'm not one that is going to go down the quarter mile much if at all or to the track. So day to day driving is like to see my iat stay below 30-40 degrees if possible. So realistically is that effected more by pipe routing (no x-over pipe) or is it also to do with the efficiency of the cooler (especially at low speeds).

Because I don't want to have to buy a Johnny tig or plaz 1000hp cooler if I don't have to (when I'm trying to be realistic about my goals)

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

You're missing the part in relation to that diagram that shows tube and fin coolers flow better and have quicker heat transfer.

A tune and fin cooler can make more power and cool down quicker within a exact dimension comparison and can do it again within a shorter time frame when heat soaked than a bar and plate cooler will. 

Bar and plate has always been considered inferior for these reasons. 

Fwiw I prefer bar and plate cos I'll just get (a farken huge one) the biggest one I can utilize. A large bar and plate cooler can absorb the heat and flow well due to it's size.

An intercooler has a much larger effect on intake temps than piping does but at low/off boost driving the piping will get heat soaked while the cooler stays cool due to airflow. This piping cools down pretty quickly when on boost.

A custom water to air setup would work better than either on the turbo fords imo but most folks aren't going the custom route with various mods. 

It's bolt on for days which in a way is good because there are proven results available for comparison. 

Water/meth injection would solve a lot of issues too but that's getting off topic. 

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 2d

Tube-And-FinThere are two main types of intercooler core designs: tube-and-fin, and bar-and-plate. Tube-and-fin cores are common on stock intercoolers, but not on performance aftermarket intercoolers. That’s because these types of intercoolers are prone to heat soak in hot engine bays or when repeated pulls cause the intercooler to overheat. This heat soak can result in power losses as the ECU adjusts for the higher intake temperatures.

BarPlate-CoreA bar-and-plate intercooler can better operate under high-heat conditions without losing efficiency and does a superior job transferring heat. The inherent design of a bar-and-plate core promotes better heat transfer and is better at handling high-boost applications than a tube-and-fin core. The ability of a bar-and-plate core to handle high boost is determined by the thickness of the braze sheets, fins, side bars and top plate. Another benefit of a bar-and-plate design is its ability to withstand the potential abuse from being mounted at the front of a vehicle. The drawbacks to bar-and-plate intercoolers are added weight (compared to tube-and-fin) and higher costs.

End Tanks

The right end tank is a major factor in the longevity of your heat exchanger and have a big effect on the airflow through the core. There are four common materials used for end tank construction: plastic, stamped aluminum, cut-and-weld aluminum, and cast aluminum.

Plastic end tanks are used on stock intercoolers, but they are not ideal for performance applications. These end tanks are not well equipped to handle increased performance or higher boost levels. As a result, they can outright fail during high-boost pulls.

Aluminum tanks are recommend for performance applications. Stamped aluminum tanks are the most budget-friendly aluminum option and can easily handle high-boost applications. However, you’ll most commonly find stamped aluminum end tanks paired with standard tube-and-fin intercoolers. Cut-and-weld aluminum end tanks are considered a step up from stamped tanks. A well made cut-and-weld tank provides fantastic durability; however, since it incorporates multiple pieces of aluminum welded together, proper testing and precision welding is required.

Cast aluminum end tanks are at the top of the spectrum. These tanks offer the best combination of reliability and smooth airflow. Because there are no welds, there are no potential failure points. And since the internal structure is smoother than cut-and-weld tanks, engineers can optimize the airflow to the entire length of the core.

Edited by arronm
  • Like 1

• Member For: 7y 9d

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order one of these - I've also asked for pics of the black one mentioned and am trying to beat him down on price.... wasn't going to buy an intercooler before I got a tune but at this price hard not to.

Will keep you posted if I proceed.... 

• Like 1