Have I blown my diff??

Sweet EB

• Member For: 18y 5m 22d

Well, here's what it was..  Driver's side wheel bearing..  Completely collapsed..  Jacked car up and grabbed hold of drivers side wheel and it flopps around like it's about to fall off.. 

How does a wheel bearing just collapse like that..  No warning at all..  No noises leading up to or anything..  Just a bit of quick clutch our action and a fair bit of throttle...  Would never have thought the wheel bearing..  Very happy that was all it was..! 

On Sunday, July 03, 2016 at 4:32 PM, Ralph Wiggum said:

Diff. Sounds like the pinion preload spacer has collapsed and the pinnion is dancing around.

Hi all,  well finally got around to changing out the RHS wheel bearing..  Problem is still there..  No more clunks from the rear now though..  Did a bit more research about pinion preload because the symptoms match..  I got under the car today and couldn't feel any noticeable movement in the pinion itself.  

I started the car and ran at idle in 1st gear..  The noise is either coming from the diff or the inner cv on the half shaft on the LHS..  The weird thing is that the LH half shaft is moving around like it's bent..  The shaft itself has a wobble and looking where the shaft/cv meets the diff, it has a wobble up there.. 

Could the half shaft be bent or is there something inside the diff that would cause half shaft to move around like it's bent..?? 

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 4m 16d

How many internet points for I get when you find your diff centre in peices?

Do a diff rebuild once and do it properly. Bang a harrop trutrak in there. Check the crown n pinion for wear aswell.
Mine looked fine so got put back in with the new centre and still made funny noises.
Ended up with new centre, new bearings, new crown and a new pinion. About 2g in parts +labour

And if you have spare coin and will be shooting for more power in the future, While it's all out slap in a twin bushed hat and a set of shafts and then skids for days
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,  been a while since I posted..  I replaced diff and car running perfect..  I have only just had a chance to pull the cover plate off the old diff.. 

Well, don't think a set of bearings is going to fix this problem..! 

20160821_144831.jpg

• Like 4

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 22d

Hey mate thanks alot for the update. It is really good when people come back and let everyone know what the problem ended up being.

I have bad half shaft CV's, lucky my diff is okay..