Have I blown my diff??

Sweet EB

• Member For: 18y 5m 1d
Hi all,

I have a BA XR6T manual. It's has a moderate power increase which has been that way for years ~250 RWKW.. I stepped off the clutch today and give it a bit and I heard a definite clunk and then a lot off woop woop noises and what sounded like loud bearing noise under coast conditions..  The bearing noise sound just like a very bad wheel bearing noise.

Noise is a lot quieter when under a bit of load but gets very loud when you back off.  Additional to that, when you take off from standstill, it kind of jerks the car like your pumping the brake peddle a bit while taking off.  The when rolling in reverse into my driveway, it was make some pretty ugly clunking noises..

Haven't had a chance to have a look but what is everyone's thought of what it could be.. Sounds pretty bad..

Car gets driven about once a month with just over 100k on the clock.

• Like 1

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 3m 26d

I had the same symptoms when my whole diff centre cracked. Quiet under load and stupid loud under deceleration. I ended up replacing the centre with a trutrack

• Like 1

On Sunday, July 03, 2016 at 5:55 PM, bamk2f6tornado said:

I had the same symptoms when my whole diff centre cracked. Quiet under load and stupid loud under deceleration. I ended up replacing the centre with a trutrack

No what I want to hear..!  Will get a chance to have a look this arvo..  It's been killing me not having a chance to work out what's wrong.. 

Hoping it is just a half shaft.. 

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 3m 26d

If you have a Ute it's easy to check. Just whip off the diff centre cover. If you have a sedan then that's a big job haha. Check the easy stuff like centre bearing first. If centre bearing is fine just rock your tailshaft back n forth. When my centre cracked I have about 10mm of play

Yeah unfortunately it's a sedan..  Mine has always had a bit of play..  What were you doing or happened when your diff let go..? I have done a lot worse and nothing has happened before..  I don't understand why something broke this time... Wasn't a full clutch dumb..  Was normally just enough to break traction.