SCT xcal3 or 4? Advice needed

NathanB

• Member For: 11y 1m 30d

My xcal 4 is a 600 dollar paperweight. Honestly never use it. Have tried to use the live link software but can't seem to get it working properly and I only have a tiny selection of things I can read on the unit, no transmission temp for example which is what I was looking for. POS really I'd rather just not have it

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 4m 26d

I can still use the Android Torque app for logging certain info which is great, but Forscan has issues. :(

Might have to contact Forscan to get this sorted........

yeah forscan is very touchy. Paid for that app only for it to be useless and they kept blaming my phone and OBDII. Told them to shove it in the end. Use torque now

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 17d

Mazda, is your car tuned with an X4?  If so Forscan will never work.

Unfortunately SCT is still the better software to tune the Falcons with. So it's not really a paperweight!

• Member For: 10y 11m 1d

Wow did not know about any of that. I used a cheap eBay elm327 adapter with auto off etc and paid for torque pro and it was good but didn't seem to be reading things correctly like temps and boost etc.

Then I bought a scan tool obdlink MX and haven't looked back. It reads everything correctly and runs self checks and even gives me more info about the car itself. Always quick to connect and is accurate (as far as I can tell, confirmed by last dyno run). Using to keep an eye on timing and fuel trims and temps before I can get the car retuned.

Just FYI I may have found a golden goose but got a guy sending me an xcal4 at a very good price. Cheaper than an xcal3 I was about to pull the trigger on.

I'll keep you all posted.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 9m 17d

As long as the logging device doesn't need to read the strategy to draw the Direct Memory Request info like Forscan or Livelink (Gen II with the x4 should be ok) then you should be fine. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member For: 10y 11m 1d

ok so I have myself an xcal4 I got for $200 with 5 unlocks left it is married however.

I'm wondering if someone knows of a workshop locally that can do the $150 unlock (know a guy that did it in QLD) in Melb?

SCT have quoted me the same if I send it to them, and Herrod won't unlock them anymore apparently, they'll only swap them for a new one for $350.

I'd just rather not have to send it to the US unless I have to.

Thanks in advance again :P

Nathan