ECU for a BA XR6 turbo

zlaya79

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 7m 2d

Haltech/Any other aftermarket ecu install/tune wou;d cost more than the value of the car.

37 minutes ago, zlaya79 said:

That's what he said, but apparently it is not exactly foolproof and sometimes they will spaz out even if the car config is the same.  I am dealing with a guy who worked for Ford who used to solely do this sort of stuff for them and that's what he reckons. He says he can program a 214 manual into thinking it's an auto fairly easily, but other combos might be harder or impossible.

In saying that, I am looking at getting a 244 and seeing what happens. 

Essentially, the car goes into limp mode with errors around the gearbox power supply (which there is nothing wrong with).  When we scratched the surface a bit by searching for those error coedes online and speaking with Ford, people said that this is common for those computers and a crapload of them had the same issue.  This is essentially why they are next to impossible to find and why Ford doesn't have any more in stock.  A LOT of them got swapped out at one stage or another and a lot of people are looking for them.  

I am still quietly confident one will come my way. Some wreckers might get sick of my phone calls, but hey, that's life.  :wwww:

If anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to chime in...

Does he have the gear to flash a stock factory calibration into the ecu?

• Member For: 10y 1m 9d

He has some gear, but I am not sure exactly what it is... 

There was mention of having to buy some software from Ford if we go down a path of trying to put my original program into a different model ECU.  He said something about downloading the programming from my ECU.

Do you know more about it by  any chance?

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

Where are you located?

There are several way to flash the correct file into the ECU, it's linked to the as built info attached to the VIN. 

If your mechanic is not famaliar with what is required or doesn't have the correct gear you might be better off going to see someone that does as it's a slippery expenisve slope burning up labour to get it right.

I am in Sydney, near Olympic Park.

My mechanic is cool and is not going to charge me much, as he couldn't really fix anything.  The other guys, with supposed experience at Ford, who is helping me source and potentially flash this is being very nice and helpful too. He's been ringing all his connections around the country. Doubt he will rip me off, but it would be good to find the cheapest possible option...

Have you got connections?

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

I could do if for you but im on the otherside of the country.

If they suggest you need to purchase any hardware to flash it they are going about the wrong way.

http://www.injectronics.com.au/products/electronic-control-modules/ these guys are able to repair ECU's if you can have the car off the road during the repair.

The guy just suggested buying some software from Ford only if we have to use a different model ECU. 

Do you mind outlining the correct steps for me, so I know if someone suggests a wrong/more difficult approach?

The guy from   http://www.macarthurautoparts.com.au/find-us/  I spoke with today put me onto  http://www.injectronics.com.au/products/electronic-control-modules/, so I might just take the ECU out and send it off to them.  The car is off the road anyway, can't really drive it far in limp mode. :)

Thanks very much for your input, really appreciate it!!

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

Personally I'd send the ECU to injectronics first and get it assessed. If it's repairable it will make life much easier.

If you need to replace the ECU you'll need to do the following-

Physcially install the ECU

Using a FORD IDS or Aftermarket unit (Bosch LT FLasher or Mongoose) Download and install the stock cal file (for the car not the ECU)

Using the IDS/Bosch LT/Mongoose carry out a Parameter Reset and PATS Relearn so the ECU is paired to the BEM (body electronics control module) and the PATS (passive antitheft system)are both working correctly. If this is all done with a Ford IDS unit you're good to go. Otherwise you'll need Ford to carry out the PATs relearn so the ICC doesn't Display "Security Code Error"

On 24/06/2016 at 5:27 PM, Ralph Wiggum said:

Personally I'd send the ECU to injectronics first and get it assessed. If it's repairable it will make life much easier.

If you need to replace the ECU you'll need to do the following-

Physcially install the ECU

Using a FORD IDS or Aftermarket unit (Bosch LT FLasher or Mongoose) Download and install the stock cal file (for the car not the ECU)

Using the IDS/Bosch LT/Mongoose carry out a Parameter Reset and PATS Relearn so the ECU is paired to the BEM (body electronics control module) and the PATS (passive antitheft system)are both working correctly. If this is all done with a Ford IDS unit you're good to go. Otherwise you'll need Ford to carry out the PATs relearn so the ICC doesn't Display "Security Code Error"

Hey mate,

Just wanted to say big thanks for listing all of this for me, it will definitely help in making sure I keep whoever ends up doing this in check.

On that note, have you got any contacts in Sydney who you would have confidence in doing a good job with this? I've lost touch with the guy who was initially helping me.

Also, and just to confirm, if I was to get a different model ECU to try make it work with my car, I just need to make sure that it's of the same configuration? (I.e. turbo/gearbox/engine).

Again, much appreciated!!

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members

Sorry cannot recomend anyone Sydney mate.

Same model and config will work. You'll still need to work throught the process listed above tho.

If I was you I would sitll pursue the Repair option if possible.

Also have a look here if you do go down the replacement list-

https://www.bulletperformanceracing.com.au/BA PPC Data Base.html

It should help you determine if a replacement will be suitbale.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 15d

fair dinkum... didn't realise there were so many different PCM/ECU codes... no wonder why people have issues trying to source/use them :)