Show us your PC and/or Gaming setup

k31th

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Focused on photo/video TODAY the $5k Mac would equal something we could build at those specs.

"Almost as good" we could build a machine and include a 4k screen, decent mouse and decent keyboard for that price.

Half the price would get a bloody great full system that would work.

• Like 2

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 26d

@Pixy Angel

I have always thought that with Apple products you pay big dollars just for the name

here is an example from the configure your Mac Pro site and the site where I buy all my goodies from

starting at the base level Mac Pro, they offer 16GB of RAM running at a speed of 1866 MHz for $640

if you want to bump that up to 64GB of ram, they will charge you an extra $1920 which is a total cost of $2560 (just for the RAM)

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/buy-mac/mac-pro?product=MQGG2X/A&step=config#

lets look at what I can buy from trusty old PC Case Gear in Melbourne

$640 would buy me 32GB of RAM running at 2400 MHz 

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/32071/corsair-dominator-platinum-cmd32gx4m4a2400c14-32gb-4x8gb-ddr4

for $1120  I could buy 64 GB of RAM running at 2400 MHz and have $1440 of change to spend up large on a kick ass processor 

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35389/kingston-hyperx-fury-hx424c15fbk2-32-32gb-2x16gb-ddr4-black

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

While it's easy to point straight to the top shelf and close the debate with the ins and outs of a mac and a custom pc I think it is as important to consider the bang for buck.

Yes a 5 grand computer will kick arse for years to come but in just a couple of years there will be hardware that can deliver the same performance for a much lower price point. For this reason I wouldn't recommend a top shelf mac or custom build for someone looking for an upgrade from an old dying system.

I think that a cheaper custom pc will still do the job admirably and will allow for future upgrades such as more ram, storage, a better cpu and perhaps most importantly for someone photo and video editing, a monitor upgrade.

3 minutes ago, bloodycrashboy said:

32GB of RAM running at 2400 MHz

Lol I have that (ddr3) in my pc but my cpu doesn't like to run it that fast :tear2: It's all they had at the time though and was only a bit under $300 iirc :)

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Not sure whether to post it here or in WMMFGT:

I have to:

click,

tick,

enter

on >3,000 database entries.

No shortcut.

I just recorded my 1st keyboard macro

Yep

If I hit "M1" it now does "click" "tick" enter"

And set it to keep going til I hit "M1" again

Leet scripting skiilz?

• Like 2

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 11m 26d

true enough @Puffwagon

I paid $3800 way back in 2012 for my current system (6 years old this year)

I know it looks a little different now and I have had to replace my graphics card

but it still retains the motherboard, RAM and CPU I bought back then

can't upgrade cos Sandy bridge platform, but still is more than adequate for gaming and the odd Go Pro video edit

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
4 minutes ago, Puffwagon said:

Why Not Both?:)

If I lose focus on the main window it starts clicking, ticking and entering all over my screen

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
Just now, Rab said:

If I lose focus on the main window it starts clicking, ticking and entering all over my screen

I meant both threads man :)

2 minutes ago, bloodycrashboy said:

true enough @Puffwagon

I paid $3800 way back in 2012 for my current system (6 years old this year)

I know it looks a little different now and I have had to replace my graphics card

but it still retains the motherboard, RAM and CPU I bought back then

can't upgrade cos Sandy bridge platform, but still is more than adequate for gaming and the odd Go Pro video edit 

Yeah mine was about 1800 just for the guts and no case, keyboard, mouse or speakers. I went with with devils canyon a couple of months before skylake was released when cpu prices were still reasonable. I then added a monitor for 800 and a gpu for 1100.

Just like you I've upgraded my gpu after a while and I've also upgraded the storage to be quicker for some bits and just more of it for other bits.

It goes alright still and I can't see a need to upgrade any time soon. Then again I don't use it for editing so a cpu/mb/ram upgrade would be on the cards if I did.

Haha my case is functional but is held together with beer caps :)

• Haha 1