Show us your PC and/or Gaming setup

k31th

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 24d

My pc is just like any other pc. You'll see what I mean about the issues I've described when you start doing it that way.

My storage is ok for now but I wouldn't go for any less than what it has currently;

1TB intel nvme boot drive/origin games/programs etc, Sandisk ll 480GB steam games, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB steam games, wd green 3TB pics, 8TB backup/movies.

I wouldn't recommend storing games like you are saying as I've done that and it sucks.

Just buy the right amount and type of storage to start with.

Up to you what you wanna do though cos at the end of the day it's your pc.

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 8m 8d
On 9/17/2017 at 9:16 PM, MBAF said:

so in the process of putting a list of parts together for a new build as follows

I7 7740 - this is raising questions in my head though

Gigabyte AORUS Ultra MB

Gigabyte 1080TI AORUS watferforce WBs x 2 - will save on getting my own cooling gear for these

512gb NVMe Pro

4tb+ hdd

Ram will be 64gb in either G.skill or corsair vengance 3600mhz or above but yet to be decided

as for case and water cooling setup im undecided on. Cooling will be custom obviously with 2 rads, reservoir and will likely go remote pump rather than a all in one for cosmetic reasons

quote to keep the list going ive worked out roughly what I want. Rough prices so everyone can see what im looking at

case: thermaltake 71 TG RGB  ~$258

cpu: I7 7800x 6 core             ~$500

mb: Gigabyte X299 AORUS Ultra     ~$600

vc: Gigabyte 1080TI AORUS watferforce    ~$1300 x 2

ssd: NVMe 1TB (happy puff? :P )             ~$600   ----- pro would be an option here but im not sure the gain is enough to justify the cost at this point also any external 2.5" ssd seems pointless given the board can take 3 NVMe if required

hdd: seagate ironwolf 10tb (256mb cache)              ~$480

ram: g.skill trident rgb 128gb (8 x 16)                 ~$2000 ------- this may change though depending however this will utilise the boards ability nicely but only being 3600 might be worth saving some cash and going a 4000+ in 64gb range

that just leave a power supply, external blu ray burner (I have cds I need to access) and then the water cooling setup which is yet to be determined. Thinking soft piping only because it will be moved around....

so far it brings the price in around $7k - 6k if I drop back to 64gb @ 4000 which does seem quite viable

I would like to go the pro to get a bit faster again but im not sure its going to be worth it given its load speeds where it comes in and ~1sec isnt going to be noticeable anyway. cash can be spent better else where

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 28d

Could go 2 x 500/512gb NVME in raid 0 for about the same price ;)

Good choice on the chip - I don't think the 7740 would have even supported the 8 sticks of ram, or the 128gb.

Make sure you get the Aorus HB-SLI bridge rather than the Nvidia one - Nvidia one doesn't clear the waterblocks.

Have a play with this to work out your cooling.

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/

For some reason it wouldn't let me add the 2nd GPU (maybe they don't have a suitable bridge in stock for it), so you'll need the correct water block to bridge them (or just use soft/hard pipe with the extra fittings) and it didn't add a 2nd radiator (because only 1 GPU) so will need to get that and the fittings as well.

Make sure you keep the order <$1,000 (to avoid getting slugged at customs) and check local (PC Casegear) to see if local pricing is better on parts that they have available - I'd recommend using the same brand though for the whole setup rather than mix/matching.

Worth getting the passive heat sinks for the NVME from them as well - the sticks do run hot and can throttle, especially with not much airflow in the case due to the WC not needing the throughput (unless the MB has a cooling solution built in)

2 hours ago, Rab said:

Make sure you get the Aorus HB-SLI bridge rather than the Nvidia one - Nvidia one doesn't clear the waterblocks.

That was certainly the plan

2 hours ago, Rab said:

Could go 2 x 500/512gb NVME in raid 0 for about the same price ;)

I did think this but I can always run 2 other ssds in raid plus will leave room for later NVMe

2 hours ago, Rab said:

Worth getting the passive heat sinks for the NVME from them as well

good point slipped my mind lol

• Feeling the Love :-)
  • Member For: 11y 22d
7 hours ago, MBAF said:

ram: g.skill trident rgb 128gb (8 x 16)                 ~$2000 ------- this may change though depending however this will utilise the boards ability nicely but only being 3600 might be worth saving some cash and going a 4000+ in 64gb range

why would you need 128 GB of RAM????????????????

• Haha 1