Show us your PC and/or Gaming setup

k31th

• Member For: 10y 4m 8d

yeah I was looking at upgrading my aged but trusty 6870 to a GTX980TI but will be waiting for 2x RX480's. 100w each they claim so no need for 1kw power supplies either.

AMD is definitely targeting market share with this release. I expect their new flagships will be announced soon

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Oh and VR gaming is really what I'd be wanting to buy for when I upgrade.  Vid cards need to pump out 90 frames per second to avoid nausea from what I've just read...and do it for each eye of course.  

These new cards all have VR in mind so should work well - so keen for scary gaming in VR.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Nah... I'm not that up to speed with AMD's offerings or tech in general, will definitely look at those RX480s.  If they don't have compatibility issues and can do good quality VR gaming on the cheap they would be awesome!  Low power use is awesome too.  I'm just scared of bugs.

Article saying wait a couple months for prices to drop.  Won't change your mind if you're baller enough to be a dual 1080 buyer though :) 

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/nvidia-gtx-1080-vs-1070-vs-amd-rx480-gpu-price-availability/

• Like 1

some may argue that 2 1080's >better than 2x rx480's which is a no brainer. 2 rx480s should still be around half the price of a single 1080 though. You could probably get 4 but that's a similar scenario to a million cpu cores/threads that dont get utilised. A better single card will always be better than cheaper multi setups that may perform equally in particular scenarios/games

Not something that's likley to change as the problem with optimising games for multi gpu's is not everbody has them or wants them
  • Like 1

• Donating Members

Yeah I'd be annoyed if I had to turn off a card I paid for in order to run anything, at a lower performance level than I had invested in the hardware to support.

...unless the twin card set up was half the price of a single beast card and performance was still high at full quality!

It would be like bypassing a turbo in a twin set up, just so I could get traction because the tyres I'm playing with were ill suited to the surface.  Even if I win the drag race, I'd know I could have smashed it outta the park if I ran all my hardware.

Edited by -Stever-

dont need to be disabled just may not get completley utilised. Definitely seeing way more support for 2 way setups so the 2 vs 1 is getting much more viable but honestly only ballers roll 4

4x rx480' at 100w each and all those pcie power connecters needed meaning probably getting a bigger psu than required seems like false economy