Water leaking into footwear - not AC

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 26d

Hi everyone

Anyone had this problem with a B series? Car was parked outside in heavy rain yesterday afternoon and last night and there was a massive lake in the rear driver's side footwell this morning. Car was parked on a slope, nose high, and tracing the water back it seems to be originating near the front edge of the front drivers door. Had the same problem about a year ago but to a lesser extent and it never recurred, so I assumed the door wasn't closed properly.

Seals look ok and confirmed windows were up properly.

Maybe a blocked duct or something in front of the windscreen?

Any help appreciated! Fortunately I've got secure parking at work, so car is in basement with doors open until I can a hair dryer on it tonight.

Pic is of where water starts in drivers footwell

aa93d00428ca19f615c27b3e00f87ce9.jpg

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

I don't know how water could get there unless the seal around the door was not sealed (either actually open or break in the seal)...

• Member For: 9y 9d

Had this exact problem in both fg I have at home. Turned out to be where cables run into the car inside the wheel well. Pulled plastic off and put silicone around all cables going into the car. I had to look into it because everytime I washed the car there was water at the drivers feet.

• Gold Donating Members

Thanks everyone.

This is a metric sh!t ton of water, so I'm guessing something topside rather than wheel well, as the car has been stationery but in heavy rain.

Good call I think Ralph - while the weather strip looks good, the windscreen seal is very wet underneath about half way down on drivers side. Not sure on windscreen history, but screen isn't branded like the rest of the glass so I'm guessing it has been replaced.

Next step will be to swing past a windscreen place for a look.

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 25d

If it's the screen get it sorted ASAP mate. Rust time bomb otherwise. Is the black sealant use to bond the sceen consistent all the way around?

If/when the screen is replaced if you can have a sticky beak around the window recess and make sure the paint is intact. Quite often it gets damaged when the installer scrape the sealant and then if you wind up with a leak it's rust city.

• Like 2

• Gold Donating Members

Back to the drawing board - windscreen place said the screen is definitely fine and is the factory screen. Good news then for any rust issues there.

Guy reckoned he often sees them get blocked up in front of the screen, and to remove the plastic panel around the wipers and have a good look clean out. I'll try that of the weekend. He thought all the door seals and stuff were fine too so if the above doesn't work, might be time to get the hose out.

• Gold Donating Members

Yeah I pulled all that back. Unfortunately the carpet is dry, but the lining underneath (separated from carpet by a waterproof layer) is saturated. I'm leaning towards getting someone to dry it with some big heaters and peeling back the carpet.

Anyone know of if this is a problem? Took out plastic trim behind wipers and everything was very clear and clean. This seal could be the cause?

uploadfromtaptalk1466825777141.jpg.bdc16