Adding oil gauges - location of sender

El Andrew

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

For those of you who have added oil temp or pressure gauges, where have you installed the senders?

I've added an oil temp gauge with a Specco sandwich plate that has 1/8 npt ports. Trouble is the thing won't stop leaking. I (and the mechanic) have tried tape, thread sealant and stag paste. Best result to date has been the stag paste I used, letting it cure off the car for a couple of days. I know have one spare plug leaking a little, but is still enough to put a drop of oil on the ground each night and gradually make a mess underneath.

Welding a bung into the sump doesn't seem to be the go as I would like to add an oil pressure at some stage.

At this point I'm thinking maybe a better quality (hopefully) non-thermostatic sandwich plate like this Earl's one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170636507085

Would obviously need some adaptors for 1/4.

The piece off the oil switch is another option, but again if I'm eventually adding two senders and there's already the turbo oil feed branching off there it is getting a bit messy.

What have the rest of you used in the past?

• Gold Donating Members

Thanks for that.

Has anyone else tried a sandwich plate and had luck with a particular brand? I'm thinking it will be a bit neater especial I'll eventually want two senders and would rather not have a Christmas tree of t-pieces.

I'm thinking the quality of the sandwich plate I used was junk.

• Member For: 11y 3m 5d

Man you can get a 1/8 npt T piece from most repco stores for around $12/$15, bit of thread tape and screw T piece into where you oil pressure switch taps into the block on the left side, just above the engine mount, then screw oil gauge sender into T piece and connect the wires the correct way around and happy days ??

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d

Weld in sensors to sandwich plate? hahaha

I use a plate and it's fine but no idea on brand sorry.  Cheap sensors from "RaceTech" gauge kits as well.

Edited by -Stever-

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold Donating Members

I think in the end I'm going to go for the t-piece. Not super keen on the Christmas tree effect if I add an oil pressure sender later but can't find anything particularly decent for a sandwich plate, despite liking the idea of them.

Am I correct in thinking the factory oil pressure switch is 1/4 npt? If so, I'll get an 1/4 npt male to female, with a 1/8 npt female half way along for the temp sender.